Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I have a 7 month old beagle, Sigmund, who seems to pee whenever he meets someone new. This is the first time I've experienced this with a dog. I was just wondering if this is normal and will he grow out of it?

I try to tell people to not make a big deal over him when they first meet him but he still does it. I'd appreciate any advice.

Thanks.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/help.gif You might want to introduce yourself and Sigmund in the Introduction forum. We would love pictures.

As for the submissive peeing, that happens a lot. Some puppies grow out of it. Some don't.
Don't pet him when you come back home, let him relax first. Than, when you do want to pet him, ask him to sit, they usually don't pee sitting down. Ask people not to pet him if he's not sitting first.

You might also want to check with the vet to make sure it's not physiological.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response. I'd be more than happy to post some pics in the intro forum when I get home later tonight (I only have a couple hundred! :) .

As for the peeing...that's exactly what we do with him now. He doesn't do it at all any more with me or his other dad, but when my sister came for a visit is was pee-o-ramma for the the fist 8 hours. I'll try to make sure he's sitting, but that's hard to control at the dog park.

Can you expand on the psychological aspect?

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I referred to physhiological, not psychological.. and that the vet will know best!

Psychologically, however, I would assume it's just that they are very very excited and submissive, and can't control their bladder. In comparison to humans, I would see it as someone being scared to the point they wet themselves.... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbup.gif

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry....read to fast! Got it now (physiological), thanks! I'll give him more time and see if he grows out of it. If not then I'll take him to the vet and see what they have to say.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
We did what Murphy's dad suggested. Anytime I had advance notice of a visitor, we took Maggie outside first. If she did wet when, we never made an issue of it and just cleaned it up. She did gradually get over it but I can't remember how old she was when it stopped.

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
I feel for you! Abby doesn't have excitable pee episodes but my parent's dog, Missy, does and we dog sat her for a week.

My suggestion to you would be not to greet Sigmund until he calms down. That is the ONLY thing that stopped Missy from peeing when she was excited. We basically had to ignore her until she calmed down and then acknowledge and pet her.

Some puppies grow out of this once their bladder muscles strengthen, or once they are neutered, some don't. If he's one that doesn't, depending on how big of an inconvenience it is you may want to train him now to wear doggie diapers.

Good luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts