Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
*Headache*

My head hurts.

Charlie has taken on Excessive Barking, what the heck.
It started Yesturday. nothing has changed in his play or exercise time.

I thought at first (first few barks)no biggy however it continued, all day, and today too.

(lets mention he was not doing this to the degree he is now with every person he sees on walks etc...animals..etc...)

Barking when he sees people, animals, ( I know this is his greeting thing Like come on say hi to me, however I don't think people and animals are seeing it the same way, it sounds like aggression because it's so loud, but It's not this I know for sure, I tried it out and said, ohhh he just wants to make sure everyone he sees greets him, and sure enough that was it.
Then any noise outside, even me doing something in the house, he starts barking, I have told him NO, even closed his yap, but it's not doing any good.
When some of the barks happen when there is outside noise, I reasure him it's fine, this is going on way toooooo much, I know it's only been 2 days, but why the heck did all of a sudden he became like this? I need to nip it in the butt and I don't know how (sorry once again never ever had to deal with this sorta thing)

I looked on the net for things about Excessive Barking, however maybe it's a beagle thing...can someone help please?

what is he confy now, so he's trying to be the loudest guard dog, yet he'll lick you to death?

arghhhh *my head hurts* pound pound

·
Registered
55 Posts
My Josie isn't an excessive barker, but when she does get carried away, I spritz her from a water bottle. She doesn't like that very much. I've actually only had to do it 2 or 3 times. Now she settles down just from seeing the bottle.

If you can rule out that Charlie's trying to tell you something important (there's a burgler, I'm in pain, etc.), you might try that.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you that sounds like great advice.
I'm gonna fill a waterbottle right now!

I suppose I have to take it outside with me too when we go on walks, people might think I'm mean or nuts? Uh well this is a method of training I am willing to try, anything can help.

Yeh I won't use it when or if I have someone brakeing in:)

will let you know how it goes today and tommorrow.

Thank you again.

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
Squirt bottle is a good idea, I used it on my Charlie on his walk. He goes crazy when he sees another dog, he just changes to another fearless vicious dog charging with his whole 26lb of him /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif
Also, rattle a few coins in a soda can, see which one works better.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update;

Crazy I should of known Charlie is not bothered by Water, he likes it, looks at me oddly and carries on, thought I would take another approuch seeing I see he is starting to submit to me more and more, I hank him once control for him to sit in a stern voice, he struggles then I yank again, making it known I'm not bloody kidding, between closer to my legs, sit not aloowing him the room to get retarded, worked this morning. We shall see how this goes....gonna try the coin now...lol

·
Registered
794 Posts
Try bitter apple spray--you can squirt it right in his mouth and he will be quiet.
We originally bought it to squirt on Polly's paws to make her stop chewing them. (ok that did not work, but she does quit barking when she sees me reach fo the bottle)

·
Registered
324 Posts
Beagle do tend to be very vocal ! Don't know if you would class this as the proper taining method . But Mr. Shiloh LOVES his outdoor time and even more if kids are present . If he starts a lot of barking I bring him inside. Now(sometime)he has learned that outside time means little or no barking and a treat. Doesn't always work but helps some on his "late night"potty outings. :thumbup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts