Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any Schitt's Creek fans here? Eww, David!

Anyways.

This morning on our walk (started around 5:10am) Xerxes found half a flattened squirrel. Haven't particularly taught him 'Drop it' but he knows it all the same, man was I ever glad of that. He caught the trail of interesting scents and wandered around baying...because that's what people appreciate that time of day. He was most intractable about stopping too.

Life with a beagle!

Reactions: orange beagle

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Xerxes says that sounds delicious AND fun Cassie!

Dogs, I tell ya. I really wonder what was attractive about half a squished squirrel.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Buddy can beat that. One evening in the middle of winter I was taking him for a walk. It had been a cold winter and we had received a lot of snow. Well as we were walking along he suddenly stopped and started digging in a snow bank. After a few moments he suddenly jumped back and in his mouth was a flattened frozen squirrel. It must have been hit by a car and then plowed into the bank.

Another time we had just stepped out of the office for his morning walk. Again it was the middle of winter and the temp was in single digits. Right outside the door is a street sign. We went up to it, sniffed it, and then licked it. His tongue froze instantly to it. There the little guy was stuck to the pole, his head tilted looking at me for help. My dilemma was if I should go back for the camera. I decided to help him instead so I reached down and peeled his tongue free.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Buddy can beat that. One evening in the middle of winter I was taking him for a walk. It had been a cold winter and we had received a lot of snow. Well as we were walking along he suddenly stopped and started digging in a snow bank. After a few moments he suddenly jumped back and in his mouth was a flattened frozen squirrel. It must have been hit by a car and then plowed into the bank.

Another time we had just stepped out of the office for his morning walk. Again it was the middle of winter and the temp was in single digits. Right outside the door is a street sign. We went up to it, sniffed it, and then licked it. His tongue froze instantly to it. There the little guy was stuck to the pole, his head tilted looking at me for help. My dilemma was if I should go back for the camera. I decided to help him instead so I reached down and peeled his tongue free.
OH BUDDY! Don't lick the pole!!!! That cracked me up, poor guy. Too funny.

We've been pretty lucky in the 'dead stuff' department. Neb is a poop aficionado, the first time I took something unknown out of his mouth that turned out to be poop I was happy it was winter and there was snow on the ground...still we headed for home sharpish. But Buddy finding that squirrel just shows how good their noses are.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Or how about the time he had his head out the car window and he stepped on the window switch. I heard a noise, looked over, and there he was with his head stuck flopping his legs around trying to get loose. It was funny. He had already taken his foot off the switch well before the window could hurt him.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Or what about the time I was laying in bed watching tv. He jumped up next to me, lying on his back. I rubbed his belly, the side away from me and he started to roll that way. I was curious how far this would go so as he rolled I kept rubbing in that direction. Until he reached the side of the bed and fell off onto the floor. It made a pretty good thump. He jumped up, looked at me and had a “You didn’t see that” expression on his face.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Or how about when I wad in bed and he was standing there looking at me. He made a running jump to get up but didn’t quite make it. There he was halfway up the bed but just not quite. Hanging from his front legs while he slowly slid back down. His front legs frantically trying to grab on and pull himself back up until he finally hit the floor.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Then there was this time I meet a good friend for dinner. It was about 10 when I got home so I let Buddy out. I would normally leave the doors open so he could come back in but I left the inner open but the screen door closed. I had turned on the TVs and laid down in bed expecting to get up when Buddy barked to let him in. The only problem is that I had some “Adult Beverages” and fell asleep. When I woke up it was from the phone ringing from the Spokane Police doing a well fare check cause they had received several reports about my lights were on, door was open, and beagle outside baying. Ooops.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Then there was the time I was actually going to take a vacation. Not just a day or two but a week to the Turks and Caicos islands. A week of non stop scuba. It was all arranged that Buddy would stay with his Grandpa and Granma. Until he broke his leg two weeks before I left. No problem. Simple brake. All they had to do was set and cast it. So while I was gone mom and dad did a great job of taking care of him. Now those two would typically go to the bar several times a week. She thought it was a good idea to give Bud some pepperoni sticks one afternoon, they went to the bar and left the Budster in the car. It was November so they left the windows up. Did I mention that he had pepperoni? When they left to go home Bud jumped on Mom’s lap and let loose with his pent up gas. When I came home and she told me the story all I could do was pat him on the head and give him a “Good boy” and laugh my ass off.

·
Registered
467 Posts
So we've have always been a close family. Dad, Mom and I would always be out camping and fishing together. Dad and I worked together at the shop for A Lot of years. He's the best friend I will ever have. Anyways, Bud was only about 6 months old. We were going camping together over the 4th. This was going to be on Lake Roosevelt. It's the resevour behind Coulee Dam. Anyway the plan was that Mom and Dad were going the the campground a week earlier, get a couple of sites, she would stay there and Dad would come back home. Then the next weekend the rest of us would join her. Well as the plans were being made she mentioned that she would take Bud with her. Without hesitation I said great. However I told her what to expect. I said you'll be sitting there, reading your book and decide to go to bed. Bud will just be lying there, on the floor. But once in bed you'll look over there an d there he'll be looking at you. You'll have to pick him up on toss him on the bed. then he will start to turn around, and around, and around clockwise. When he stops he will turn around, and around, and around counter clockwise. Then once he finally stops he'll then start to fluff up the bed. And fluff. And fluff. And fluff. And once he stops he will have to scratch himself. And while he's scratching the bed will be rocking. And then he stops. And then he starts licking himself. Not just once or twice but consistently with a slurping sound. After hearing this she said no. No way ever. Well Dad went up in the middle of the week since it was their anniversary and took Bud with him. When I arrived several days later I asked Mom how it was and her exact words were "Damn you. It was exactly how you described".

Sorry about Hijacking this post.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Charlie usually sleeps in bed with me. We asked some friends to keep our dog for a few days and left them with the dog bed. They later told us that in the middle of the night they were arguing about the other spouse hogging the bed. “You’re taking up the whole bed!” “I am? Excuse me, but YOU are taking up the whole bed.” He got up to turn the lights on and prove it to her, only to find that it was my dog that was hogging the whole bed. We hadn’t mentioned to them that she sleeps in the bed with us, thinking she wouldn’t do it with strangers. Boy were we wrong.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Charlie usually sleeps in bed with me. We asked some friends to keep our dog for a few days and left them with the dog bed. They later told us that in the middle of the night they were arguing about the other spouse hogging the bed. “You’re taking up the whole bed!” “I am? Excuse me, but YOU are taking up the whole bed.” He got up to turn the lights on and prove it to her, only to find that it was my dog that was hogging the whole bed. We hadn’t mentioned to them that she sleeps in the bed with us, thinking she wouldn’t do it with strangers. Boy were we wrong.
Not a beagle, but my first dog was a German Shepherd named Luc. He always slept in bed with me. When I'd been dating my husband for awhile, he complained that Luc was always hogging his side of the bed and taking up space. I said to my husband 'That's because you're on Luc's side of the bed'. Man was he unimpressed. Heh. Luc started sleeping on the floor when my husband moved in shortly after (I figure he wanted to lay claim to that side of the bed more permanently haha).

Reactions: orange beagle
1 - 18 of 18 Posts