Our Beagle World Forums banner

ever sneak up on you dog?

2K views 14 replies 14 participants last post by  Sephly 
#1 ·
When the wife and i come home, we always try to be totally inconspicuous to see if we can catch the beagles in their natural behavior, that is, not knowing if we are home or watching. sometimes when we leave them inside, and we leave the stereo on loud enough to mask our sound of return, we try to even sneak up on them and scare them..
this is GREAT FUN!!!
although i scared bonnie and champ so bad about a month ago that champ ran around the living room and kitchen twice peeing and emitting some other fish smelling foul secretion from God knows where,

when are driving up and they are outside, i often drive by slowly to see if they recognize the truck and then pull up slow and stop just past the trees where i can see them but they might not notice me.
they usually do though...
so is my voyeristic behavior unique?
I would Guess not... we all have so much in common.
C.

See less See more
#2 ·
I've haven't snuck up on Murphy yet, but when our lab was younger and we had our St. Bernard I'd regularly sneak up on them.

On occasion I'd wear a sweatshirt with a hood; I'd walk into the back yard with the hood up covering my face. The St. Bernard used to go ballistic bouncing and jumping around when seeing the stranger. Then I'd pull the hood back and the look of surprise would flash on her face. She had a sense of humor and seemed to get the joke. She'd come up and I swear she was laughing.

Our lab would usually go hide behind a tree or the propane tank.

#3 ·
We love to sneak in on our Sadie! My husband and I carpool to work most days, so we work together on sneaking into the house and sneaking up on her. Normally she will move all the blankets on our bed around and make herself a nest, so it's so fun to see her jump up and untangle herself. That's probably my favorite thing about Sadie, our homecomings never get old to her- she's just as excited if we left for ten minutes than when we went on our honeymoon for a week!

#5 ·
Oreo usually stays on the couch when I go upstairs. Sometimes I sneak quietly back downstairs to see him having a good roll around in the pillows while I was gone.

But when he finally does see me, he looks so guilty and just goes back to his space on the couch! He's pretty much a bump on a log when I'm around so I wouldn't mind if he had some more initiative to do... doggish things.

#6 ·
Sometimes when I get home Coco will be in the den rolling around on the couches, I quickly seek in and hide in the closet in the hall way with the door a little open. I can see him running around the house crying looking for me once he realizes I am home. I then swing open the door and yell Booo! and that makes him go crazier and he starts to zoomie around the house some more

#8 ·
I did sneak up on Chloe once and never will again. She yelped like someone was murdering her or something and jumped off the bed. Then she came up to me with her tail between her legs and ears dropped... she realized it was only me, and calmed down pretty quickly but I'll never do it again.

#9 ·
Our driveway is 1200' long, so there's no way that we, or anyone else, can sneak up on the dogs since they stay outside when we're gone. They're in a fenced area, of course.

However, a couple of times, my husband has silently come into a room where I was with Li'l Girl. That didn't go over well at all, since she perceived him as a threat to me until he spoke.

#10 ·
I have snuck up on Roscoe and Cole when they are in another room and things are too quiet! Usually I will turn on the light very quickly and they both freeze wherever they are and stare at me, as if to say What??
It is very cute!

#11 ·
If there is one thing we would never do to our two, it is creep up on them. We have spent the past 3 years trying to stop Susi jumping in fright when we enter a room when she is eating, we never come up behind her. We talk as we enter the room they are in if they are asleep. This is the only 'baggage' she still carries from the days as a research beagle. Snoopy doesnt seem scared anymore.

#12 ·
Oh my gosh, this sounds really cruel to write, but we do this all of the time. I hide in the darkened bedroom and Katie has to be brave and come in to find me. It's hysterical to watch because she's all twitchy knowing that I'll jump out and scare her. When I do, she high-tails it about 110 MPH out of the room. It's really funny and she goes into a zoomie afterward and looks like she's laughing, so there's no residual damage. It's all part of the game.

#13 ·
Quote:I did sneak up on Chloe once and never will again. She yelped like someone was murdering her or something and jumped off the bed. Then she came up to me with her tail between her legs and ears dropped... she realized it was only me, and calmed down pretty quickly but I'll never do it again.
I agree with Eleanor. The rest of you guys are mean!

Seriously though, my two are spooky enough without us intentionally startling them.
While it was just Sadie, I would occasionally come home from work and find her asleep in her little plastic dog house that's in our bedroom.
She’s usually on the back of the couch watching for me out the front window.

#14 ·
Originally Posted By: KatieGRRLOh my gosh, this sounds really cruel to write, but we do this all of the time. I hide in the darkened bedroom and Katie has to be brave and come in to find me. It's hysterical to watch because she's all twitchy knowing that I'll jump out and scare her. When I do, she high-tails it about 110 MPH out of the room. It's really funny and she goes into a zoomie afterward and looks like she's laughing, so there's no residual damage. It's all part of the game.
I would LOVE to see a night-vision video of this game - it sounds absolutely TOO cute!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.