Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering how you guys brush the beags.
I use the Beagle recommended bristle brush, but I get the feeling that there still is a lot o dead hair stuck in Chloe's coat...
Any ideas?

·
Registered
55 Posts
The Furminator... My Josie still sheds like crazy, but by using this regularly, she sheds a little less crazily.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
It kills me to think about paying $50 for a dog brush (the furminator) no matter how much I love my dogs. Does anyone know of somewhere to purchase one that is not so expensive? I have only checked at the local pet store chains so far, but I may check online and see if I can find one less expensive. Any suggestions would be helpful.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I start with a flea comb, not to get out fleas but because they are so fine they get right to the undercoat and pull out the loose hair and dander. Then I use a bristle brush because they stimulate the natural oils. Then I finish with a hound glove that's like a chamois leather because it leaves a lustrous shine.

I groom them once a week. I find this is all that's reguired.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Beagletails, I googled it and found them in 29 dollars, but that still is kind of expensive for a dog brush.
Jennifer, I do the same thing that you do, and Chloe has a shorter coat than most beagles, but I still get the feeling that it's not enough..... :conf12:

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
I bought mine from QVC. You can order on line at qvc.com. Its been a while so I don't remember what I paid but I know it wasn't 50 dollars.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have neglected Beasley's brushing for a few days, and it became aparent to me last night when i held her during our training class....When I put her down to practice, I was covered...

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jassy, I checked on some websites and QVC were the cheapest... I'm waiting for it to get here...... hope it works as promised :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
I believe my daughter bought it for about $60 some dollars on line. Thanks for reminding me that I have it. I stored it up along with Marlin's belongings, used to be for his long fur.
I used it on Charlie, wow lots of hair came out onto the furminator. be careful not to hit them with it, pretty heavy and clumsy, kept hitting Charlie with the angles...ouch sorry.

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
Could it be the change in weather that is causing the hair loss?

I notice Abby has been shedding a lot more over the past two weeks than she was over the entire spring & summer.

Poor quality food can also lead to hair loss.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Glad you found one. I often find QVC prices a little less. They buy in such large quantities they get a discount.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Eleanor: A bit late on a reply and see that you already bought something but wanted to mention that I use a rubber curry brush on Mags. Bought it in a horse/riding supply store for about $5 twelve years ago. It looks brand new and still works like a charm. What's nice is that it has what seems like a handle so it stays on your hand quite easily as you brush. That is the only thing I have ever used on her -- she loves the feeling -- expect it is like a massage. Of course, the occasional liver treat (can you say "bribe") helps! I seem to recall that I saw one in a pet supply catalogue not too long ago.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Judy, I have that.... it's great, but I think it's partly a psychological issue with me. If I don't feel the brush gets to the skin, it's like it doesn't do the work! I do use the brushes gently of course.... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Also wanted to mention that, if you think some of the hair loss is due to dryness, you might try adding an Omega 3 supplement to Chloe's daily regimen.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts