Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'd just like introduce my pup, she's 10 months old.

I was apprehensive getting her as I have heard all the 'stories' of beagles. But had also read how amazing they are with children, which is why we opted for her.

She has been fantastic with toilet training and does have a lovely nature... However when it comes to food she turns into the devil, if you go near her when she has a bone, she turns quite aggressive and even snapped earlier. I'm a bit concerned, does anybody have any tips regarding this?

Also, she has completely ruined the house, the sofa has been wrecked etc. I understand this is what puppies do, but this is a totally different level. I honestly have never met such a naughty dog..

We are an active family, she gets plenty of walks and we are home most of the time. But even when we are in the house with her, I have to run after her every two seconds as she's chewed something or grabbed something she hasnt.

I feel like a massive weight on my shoulders at the moment and was kindly asking for any help?

Have enrolled her for dog training, but there is a huge waiting list..

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
Welcome to the Forum.
From what im hearing you say it sounds like you've given your dog way too much freedom. I recommend restricting to perhaps a kitchen area. Its not easy for the family members but it sounds like your dog owns the place thats why he is aggressively keeping his possessions. And you're waiting for a training class?...Aren't you doing any training?.. what training have you done?. All members of the household should be involved. First..everyone use the same words for training and keep it simple so your dog understands.. talk to your dog a lot. Have you done the basics of ..sit, come, down, etc?
Put a leash on your dog in the house ..its a control factor and easy for you to grab it and stop bad behavior. Give a tiny treat when your dog follows a command or better get a CLICKER which you can find at a pet store or find on the internet. Watch YouTube videos on how to use one.
Also..feed your dog from your hands once a day for a week.. as the saying goes.."dont bite the hand that feeds you".
My dog is 9.10 years and wears a leash in the house. Post a picture of that naugty young'n.
Cassie says Hi.
Head Dog Dog breed Carnivore Collar

·
Registered
14 Posts
My beagle also used to get aggressive with bones. Specifically rawhide bones. So we stopped giving her any because we thought maybe the bone had something in it that made her go crazy. She doesn’t do that anymore, and I don’t know if that was just an age thing or if I have her better trained now. I have worked with her on food. I followed Caesar Milan’s advice where you would put the food bowl down only if your dog sat down, and if while you are lowering the bowl to the ground your dog stops sitting, then you lift the bowl back up. Even once you have the bowl on the ground, only let your dog stop sitting when you tell them to. If they go for the bowl before you say they can, then take the bowl away and start over. And even when your dog is eating, take the bowl away from time to time, and put it back down if they are sitting. If they aren’t then tell them to sit and repeat the lowering the bowl exercise. I think this exercise helped Charlie with her food possessiveness. Good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts