Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out with Emma yesterday. I parked the car on the street, gathered Emma & my items up & head toward the apt. From down the street comes a beagle. There was a boy riding his bike behind it so I thought it was his. I was wary of it at first, but I let Emma get closer bit by bit & finally I let them touch. Both were wagging & had a good sniff. I pulled Emma toward the apt & the beagle followed. I stopped to look for the boy, but didn’t see him. I looked around the corner & no one was there. The 2 dogs could have cared less & started playing. The beagle does have a collar & tag so she is loved. I got her to follow us & come upstairs. She was even willing to come inside until she saw my cat. The deal was off. She stayed on the upstairs landing, but would not come in. I put Emma inside & went out after the female. She was heading toward a busy street. I just couldn’t let her leave. I coaxed her to me & grabbed her collar. She wasn’t upset by this at all. I’m sitting there holding her collar thinking “What am I going to do with her” when my mom pulled up. I had invited her to dinner & she got suckered into my rescue. While outside we tried to call the county license #, but it was about 7 or 8 on a Saturday so no one picked up. Mom & I got her upstairs & pushed her inside. I have a small closed in porch in the back so we put her in there. I had the door shut & she started to cry. I opened the door & put 2 baby gates up. She liked this better, but still whined. Mom & I finished our dinner & mom volunteered to take the beagle home with her. The collar was loose so I put one of Emma’s harnesses on her. I walked mom down to make sure all was okay. I was going to get on the other side of the car to coax the beagle in, but there was no need. She jumped right in. Mom said she was good as gold the whole way home. She was introduced to my brother’s collie & they got along fine. Mom tried to keep the beagle in the sunroom, but she started to bay. She ended up staying in the house, driving poor Mollie nuts. (The cats weren’t too thrilled either.)
On Monday I will call the county again to try & get her home. I hope mom isn’t too terribly in love with her by then. (I think it might be too late already.)

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Good for you...helping that beagle baby out.

She sounds like somebody's dog but the last time I found a dog that I just "knew" somebody was looking for (he still had sutures in from being fixed), nobody was looking for him. He was obviously used to being with people. So you never know.

This story illustrates perfectly why dogs and cats should wear identification tags , not only rabies tags. Rabies tags are no help at all on weekends, nights, or holidays when the county animal buildings are closed. And microchips are good but only if somebody is available with a scanner.

I hope a very tearful, grateful owner shows up soon. (And tell her to get an ID tag /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif )

~Denise

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Thank goodness you were there at the right time! Hate to see dogs wandering in traffic ... Ending to this story sounds like a win-win situation -- at home with your Mom or with its owner!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Talk about being in the right place at the right time. Heaven knows what could have happened to the poor girl if you and Emma hadn't found her! I hope that you can find her owners and they have a happy family reunion. If not, well then I guess your mom has a new addition to the family and Emma gets a new Beagle play mate in the family. Either way, it seems like a good deal!

·
Registered
540 Posts
A week or so ago, my hubby and I were in the garage when he says "Look at that huge beagle." I went over to the old thing and grabbed him by the collar. Really sweet fellow. I got him a big bowl of water and took off down the road with him on one of the girls' long leashes. My neighbor stopped her car and we put him in the back. We called the county tag number and got all the information. His name was "Walker" and he was a Walker hound...old with a beautiful white face. We called the number and the owner was out looking for him. When we saw her car, my neighbor pulled in front of her to stop her. She got out and was so happy. She started crying when she hugged him. It seems a visitor to her house left the gate open and Walker took a walk about. He had crossed a busy road and we live way back in the subdivision down from that busy road. He was a tired old fellow, but reunited with those who love him. He knew that we would take him home when he walked up to our garage. It was a most rewarding experience.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Bless you for being sure nothing happened to this baby. :angel: I hope that if someone's looking for her there'll be a happy reunion, and that your mom won't be heartbroken. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

It's so strange how sometimes dogs (and, cats) just appear out of nowhere, seemingly well cared for, but are never claimed. We have one of each of those. :hi:

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have had 2 updates so far today. The 1st am one was to tell me she was good all night. The second was to tell me of the beagle girls antics. (I work 12 hour days so on the days I work mom picks Emma up & takes her to her house.) Emma & our find are having a ball. Both were trying to get more attention from my brother while his collie is steaming. :rolleyes:
The beagle is a bit thin, but who knows how long she has been out. She does have a 2nd s hook on her collar with nothing on it. Maybe a tag broke off. She is fixed so she might be a rescue that was chipped. I will worry more about this if I can't find the owner right away. Right now she is safe & sound & having a ball.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Well she certainly found the right people to help her! I hope you find her family soon. I agree that it is so important to have and ID tag. We got Ceasar one at PetSmart that is engraved with his name, our address and telephone number...just in case.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Thanks so much for making sure this little girl was take care of. I hope you can re-unite her with her owners tomorrow. ALL of my beags have tags with their names, my address, and phone # so I can easily be found.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Glad "Speedy" also known as Emma has a playmate. Thanks for throwing the lifeline to the wayward Beagle. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Hopefully the Beagle is lost and not thrown out of the house by owners.

Please let us know

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Are there any news about her owners? How did it go over the weekend?
Thank god you were the one to find her and that she had a safe haven during the weekend /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
bless you for helping out the helpless .... sometimes I wish they could talk to tell us their stories !!

sure hope you find her home soon !!

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well the little girl is going home as we speak. Mom called the county this morning & just spoke to the owner. The lady was thrilled. Her step son had left the gate open on saturday & out the dog went. Her name is Scarlett (she has a scar on her back that was there when they adopted her). She must be newly adopted, because she doesn't respond to her name yet. Mom told the owner about a name tag. I'm sure that will be something the owner runs out & gets today. If she had had one I could have given her back the night she got out.
Mom took some pics of the girls playing. Hopefully there will be a couple I can post.
Don't you just love happy endings. (although I think mom will be needing some cheering up tonight. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif )

·
Registered
324 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by sherocks:
Well the little girl is going home as we speak. Mom called the county this morning & just spoke to the owner. The lady was thrilled. Her step son had left the gate open on saturday & out the dog went. Her name is Scarlett (she has a scar on her back that was there when they adopted her). She must be newly adopted, because she doesn't respond to her name yet. Mom told the owner about a name tag. I'm sure that will be something the owner runs out & gets today. If she had had one I could have given her back the night she got out.
Mom took some pics of the girls playing. Hopefully there will be a couple I can post.
Don't you just love happy endings. (although I think mom will be needing some cheering up tonight. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif )
Hoooooooooray for a happy ending ! Glad she found your house ! Sorry this is not "moms" happy day . /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif It dosn't take long to "love a beagle"! Hope she feels better now,just tell her what good she has done.

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
So glad it all turned out so well and Scarlett is back home. I know just how your mom feels about parting with your find, though. Years ago the cutest, friendlist dog appeared in our yard, and I just fell in love. He appeared and disappeared for several days, always ready to accept water and handouts and cuddles, but didn't want to stay. He didn't have a name tag, but had a town tag from Ellington, a town not too far from here. I called him Elliot. But one day, after I was well and truly in love, a car came driving slowly down the street and stopped in front of our house. A lady opened the back door, called "Pogo!" and Elliot jumped in!! Pogo??? Turns out "my Elliot" and his family had recently moved to our town from Ellington and lived a couple of blocks away. We became good friends with the couple, and visited often, but I could never get used to calling Elliot "Pogo"!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I'm sure there'll be a happy beagle, and a happy owner this afternoon. Happy endings are great! :bounce2: Hopefully, the lady will stop by Walmart and make a tag for Scarlett.

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Glad Scarlett is home safe and sound (and tagged, I hope).

I'm sorry your mom is sad. I've been there before.

~Denise

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Great news for Scarlett and her family. I'm sure mom is bumbed out. Jersey's name tag is the kind that slides onto her collar instead of hanging from it. That way, unless her entire collar comes off, her name tag will always be there.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts