1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a sort of stupid question... Take a look at these two photos:

http://kelli.c-s-computers.com/CRW_9571.jpg
http://kelli.c-s-computers.com/elvis2.jpg

As you can see, Elvis is very speckled (and also kind of stoned in the first picture, but I digress).

I don't really see many (any?) other dogs here that are like that, so I'd assumed it was coming from the walker in him. However, looking at pictures of walkers, they aren't speckled, either.

I love his spots, but I'm wondering where they came from. Are these common/possible beagle markings?

I didn't meet his parents. The guy I got him from just told me that he was half beagle, half walker. The speckles have me wondering if maybe there may also be some other hound breed in there.

Not that it matters. It's just one of those things I think about.

(He's doing wonderfully, by the way. We're off all the medications except the antibiotic and he's feeling fine and seems not to be in any pain. Tomorrow is another bandage change.)

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Yup, just his ticking. Like Sandy, I really like Beagles with ticking. I think it's more common in hunting/field beagles than it is in the show lines, but I could be wrong on that. It's great to hear that Elvis is healing up and doing better! Lots of Beagle hugs and kisses to him from Jersey and me.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Many beagles also develop ticking as the grow up. Chloe was completely white and red as a pup, and as she grew up, some red freckles appeared. It is very common.
Also, lots of dogs have them all over their white.

It is ADORABLE

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Elvis is beautiful. A family at the school where I work adopted a beagle pup from our Humane Society last spring. I just saw him a few weeks ago and he looks a lot like Elvis in his coloring. He is very tall for a beagle but he sure has the beagle bark.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Originally Posted By: jen-n-jerseyI think it's more common in hunting/field beagles than it is in the show lines, but I could be wrong on that.
I have heard the same thing and the last batch of pups that we just placed were more from a hunting line and one of them will be much like Elvis. Even at 7 weeks the black and red spots were already starting to appear and quite heavily.

·
Premium Member
1,573 Posts
Your right, ,hunting and field beagles generally have them much more often this was because they were bred in to look like shadows from the sunlight coming through the trees to allow better camoflage in the woods when the dog is hunting. Also everyone here is also correct that there is nothing for you to worry about, its just ticking, my dog actually has it too, but only ever so lightly on one front paw and alittle on his forhead stripe and muzzle.

I think its cute!! Ticking comes in two colors, brown and black

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ah, thanks for the explanation!

Most of the beagle pics I've seen have probably been show line beagles. I would imagine they're a little more popular with people who breed beagles as pets and not specifically for hunting. So that would explain why I haven't seen it much.

I never met his parents, but I suppose Elvis would be from a hunting line. The guy I got him from did hunt with his dogs.

Either way, he's my beautiful hound and I love him to bits!

I think he's going to end up slightly larger than a beagle, but much smaller than a walker. I thought it was really neat to get a mixed breed dog whose parents were so similar in markings and physical appearance.

·
Registered
959 Posts
We have ticking here, but it's not as obvious except on their legs and stomachs. But like you said, you don't care, Elvis doesn't care....so go with it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
tye has ticking both parents are hunting dogs mom was red and white and dad was tri with the ticking. tye was the only one out his litter that had the ticking, made him look really cute!!

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Awww - Elvis is beautiful (and so glad to hear he is just about good as new after the accident).

Our girls both have spots - very much like Elvis' with the brown spots on their legs and snout and the black ones around their necks (and on their tummies). Both are very spotted - Popcorn especially. The boys, on the other hand, are almost entirely spot free, although they both have one or two rogue brown spots on their front legs and paws.

I love beagles both with and without spots!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts