Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, bonus photo... He was so tired, he didn't even take his clothes off before falling asleep:

Second, a minor conundrum.

When we first adopted Elvis, money was tight and it was not the best time to be getting a new puppy, but he was a rescue and I couldn't let him end up in the pound (we don't even have a no-kill shelter here). So he started out spending his nights in a cardboard box, which he quickly outgrew. For a while, he was sleeping in our bed, which was fine, until he discovered that he could get off of it. Now, he keeps me awake all night. Hubby works nights, and our other dog prefers to sleep out in the living room. I've tried to leave Elvis out in the living room with her, since he's house trained now, and since he's not a destructive puppy, but while he doesn't intentionally chew things to bits, he does like to hop up onto the table, the desks, the kitchen counters, etc. and just wander around sniffing. He's quite a jumper.

So I think it's going to be necessary to start crating him at night, which is what I personally would have preferred to be doing all along. However, according to my husband this is the equivalent of animal cruelty and no amount of reason will convince him otherwise. I don't see it that way at all. It's bedtime, he can go to bed and go to sleep, just like the rest of us.

So how do I train him (my husband, not my dog)?

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Elvis is adorable!
I'm afraid I don't have advice on how to convince your husband that crating isn't cruel. Since we first crated our Misty, who will be 14 next month, my husband has agreed about the benefits of crating. Our Spook who's 4 years old still sleeps in his crate, and is very content with it. In fact, he goes in before bedtime if he's tired.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Chloe sleeps in her crate a lot. Actually, when I'm mad at her for something she's done, she goes there willingly (I guess she feels safe there).

·
Registered
889 Posts
LOL that's funny that you're wanting to train your hubby.
We crated both of ours when we first got them. Now, a year later, they're free to roam the house whenever they want. However, I still have their crate and I just leave it open. Occasionally I'll find them both passed out in it.
When we crated them at night before they would just get in and go to sleep. We made it very positive for them. We taught them that when we said bed time they would get a yummy treat if they got in their crate (it's big). The only time we ever had a problem with them not wanting to go in it was when they knew we were leaving them. When we started letting them sleep outside the crate at night, we would just shut our bedroom door so they couldn't roam the rest of the house. Now they're so used to going to bed when we do that they just come in our room and stay there all night. Sometimes they even sleep in their crate. So I don't think crating is cruel at all as long as it's done appropriately.

See below for how ours were so cruelly treated.

The first one is when they were crated at home... the second in the car. We actually still crate them in the car when we're taking a long trip. That's partially for safety and partially because they'll just sleep the whole time if we do that.
In the second picture they managed to curl up together on ONE little doggie pillow.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
How about a compromise and get a baby gate to keep Elvis in the room with you? That's what we did with Jersey. That way if she didn't want to be in the bed she could jump down but couldn't get out of the bedroom. Keep a bed in the room for Elvis to sleep on if he's not in your bed. We keep Jersey's crate in the room with the door to it open at all times. She goes in and out as she pleases.

As for the hubby...that's going to be hard. I used to think the same thing. Then I did a lot of online research and realized that most dogs love their crates. Maybe have your vet talk to him or go to a shelter and talk to the people there. They should be able to explain the whole concept of dogs loving their dens to him. Jersey is more than happy in her crate. Show him this picture and ask him if he thinks this is a dog who is being treated cruely.

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, Daisy and Rocky DEFINITELY sure look mistreated there, LOL. I don't know what his issue is. He's an otherwise intelligent, open-minded, rational person. Perhaps he was unjustly caged as a small child..... too much time confined to a playpen or something.

He may just have to get over it, because I'M the one losing sleep (I'm a notoriously light sleeper, anyway).

·
Registered
229 Posts
Originally Posted By: Crazy Daisy So I don't think crating is cruel at all as long as it's done appropriately.
Not to commandeer the thread but just wondering what you mean by appropriately. You seem to have been quite successful at getting yours to love your crate and ours, at four months, still has problems

·
Registered
320 Posts
Show him the pictures of all the crate loving dogs here. Tell him that it definately isn't a jail cell, it's their own domain. Stuff it with comfy pillows and blankets. Tell your hubby to imagine it as an adult size cozy getaway..... But for dogs.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Are you saying your husband is at work while Elvis would be crated so you can sleep?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts