Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I came home from work today and went about the normal routine. I feed the pups and then let them roam outside for about 30-45 mins. We then go for our walk/jog and come home. While they were poking around outside I was poking around the house doing some chores, etc. I happen to glance in the backyard and see them zooming around. I just figured they were chasing each other and playing so I didn't pay too much attention. But then I saw something else. They were chasing a little bird! At first I just walked to the door thinking it wasn't a big deal because it looked like the bird was already flying away. I called to them just to try and make sure the bird got away but I was too late! Rocky literally jumped into the air and snatched the bird in his mouth.
I ran out hollering at him to drop it but by the time I got there and got him to let go it was dead.
He dropped it and stared at it like he was waiting for it to move again. I was so sad that he killed it, but glad at least that I don't think it suffered too much. I made the hubby get it when he got home from work because I just felt so bad for it. I fussed at both Rocky and Daisy but they just kind of looked at me like what did we do mom?

Sometimes I forget that they are still dogs and do doggie type things...

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Maggie tries and tries to catch a bird. I know its instinct but I would feel bad if she did get one.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
I hate it when our beagles kill. Susi and snoopy chase anything that moves but havent caught anything yet Our last beagle, Spotty would kill a mouse in a flash and then eat it head first!! Our first beagle, Bilbo, once brought home a hare and ate it all but the head, which she buried in the neighbours garden. She was the only beagle that we have allowed to roam free.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Snoopy's kill list includes one bird, one mole and a locust. I try to monitor her when she is outside but sometimes I think she knows I am watching her. She caught a baby bunny once but I was able to save it and return it to the nest. I guess they don't understand why we get excited when they are only doing what their instict tells them to do.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Eep! I would really upset if my beagle ever caught anything for me! Even though she's still a pup, she does have an intense drive to hunt though. Every time she sees a baby rabbit or a squirrel, she completely loses her mind!

·
Registered
48 Posts
At 5 months Molly made her first bunny kill, out of the blue she took off down a side path in the forest and the next thing hubby saw her with a rabbit in her mouth and shaking her head left and right to break its neck.
She didnt have a clue what to do with it once she had finished it off but she certainly has a killer instinct! Luckily she hasn't done it since but that maybe because I always run through the woods screaming run bunnies run, the killer beagle's coming!

·
Registered
890 Posts
My first dog Barney (Golden Ret/ Samoyed mix)used to catch birds and mice and leave them on the back porch for us. We had to watch our step to make sure we didn't step on something. Once our neighbors dauchunds (sp) dug a hole under the fence and came into our yard. Barney did not like them and luckily they went back under the fence before he got to them. I saw it happen and quickly fixed the hole.

Tucker chases after things, but he has never gotten close. We have a bird feeder and bath in a fenced in area in our yard. The birds know they are safe there and Tucker doesn't bother them if he can't get to them. We can keep Tucker out of things with a short 1 or 2 foot fence. He doesn't realize he can jump them easily and we aren't going to let him know he can. We are worried that when we get another beagle that they will show Tucker how to jump.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I don't think Oreo has much of a prey drive either. We sometimes see geese or cats when out for a walk but he rarely pays them any attention, even when I ask him if the cats look delicious. Apparently not.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Colby has tried to catch birds, rabbits, etc but has failed so far (thank god). My Pit Bull could care less about any wild animals. I think he would allow a rabbit to lay next to him. haha. Now my late Greyhound was another story. His kill list included, 6 baby rabbits, 3 adult rabbits, 2 squirrels and 3 Groundhogs oh and 1 bird. He was so fast that none of those animals really stood a chance, plus my yard is fenced in so that made it alot harder for the animals to escape. He was great with my 3 cats though.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Our cat is the bird killer here, even with a collar with a bell on he gets them. Bazel chases things not birds though; wallabies etc, he brings home dead ones, though we don't think he kills them more like finds them that way.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Yikes! Ruby is a definite chaser. Every time she sees any living thing on a walk she pulls HARD, and I lose all circulation in my hand! At least she hasn't caught anything yet....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts