Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The way our house is set up, you have to go through two doors to get into the backyard. The other day, I was carrying a bunch of chemicals outside, and went out the first door, and closed it behind me. Before I went out, I looked at Gage, who was sleeping in his crate in the other half half of the house.

I went out the second door, spend several minutes measuring and adding chemicals to the pool, turned around and there's Gage sitting in the wide open doorway :holyshit: . Without being on a leash. In our un-fenced yard. He must have gotten up, and slipped through the first door just after me, and I didn't notice because my arms were full of stuff. It almost gave me a heart attack. In the past, whenever he thought he could escape, he's rushed off and tried to start a game of chase. We're so lucky he either didn't realize he wasn't leashed, or decided to follow the rule of sitting at the door until told to come out. I know you all understand when I say my heart's racing just thinking about it.

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
Ahhhhhhhhhh.......I know that heart-pounding-breathless feeling when you come close to avoiding "what might have been"!!

whew......close call. :animal18:

·
Registered
702 Posts
Boy! Do I know that feeling!!

One evening I came home from visiting hubby and when I opened the garage door I saw the door to the utility room wide open. PANIC, HEART IN THROAT!! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif I KNOW Daisy can hear the garage door open and I KNOW that any second she will be bounding out to greet me. Garage door open, OH MY, DARK OUTSIDE, OH MY!! DAISY COULD DART OUT OF GARAGE, OH MY!! BEGGED GOD TO LET ME CLOSE GARAGE DOOR BEFORE SHE GETS OUT.

Our door has that electric eye that keep anyone from getting hit by the door closing, so I knew if I wasn't fast enough she'd get out.

Thank God I got it closed in time :freak:

Monica and Daisy /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
I know the feeling. Actually Susi did get out last year and it took us hours to find her. I imagined a road accident or her being shot. It took me ages to calm down.

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Wow...glad Gage might still have been a little out of it from his nap. I know the heart-dropping, pulse-racing feeling well.

My Henry isn't a runner, too pudgy. If we do try to "catch him" he stops and rolls over onto his back and goes into civil disobedient mode sometimes. Have you ever tried to pick up a beagle in civil disobedient mode? Almost impossible.

Good boy, Gage!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:Originally posted by Gingergoose:

My Henry isn't a runner, too pudgy. If we do try to "catch him" he stops and rolls over onto his back and goes into civil disobedient mode sometimes. Have you ever tried to pick up a beagle in civil disobedient mode? Almost impossible.

Okay, I'm cracking up thinking of little Henry civilly protesting his capture. So cute.

He probably was still groggy from his nap, because he's gone if he gets the chance. Fortunately, he's never left my line of site though.

·
Registered
58 Posts
The joy of beagle - escape artists:)

My Lemon appears to have some fear or doors or something - she won't come out an open door unless there is something REALLY good (i.e. another dog to chase) on the other side. She's the harder one to catch. With Luna, all I have to do is yell her name and she goes submissive - sometimes her less than nice background works to my advantage.

Lemon got loose once, while visiting family on a 35 below Wisconsin Winter day...She was gone for 2 hours, we were frantic, all over the neighborhood, calling my local vet as that was the number on the tags, etc. etc. and me nearly in tears. Then I took the other dog out on leash because I couldn't just sit there - and here comes Lemon - happily bounding from the backyard. There were no tracks (snow on the ground - fresh) from where the chain broke to where she came from, so she must've taken a different way, but we think she never left the back yard. I had heard a baroo at one point - but dismissed it as my imagination - we believe she was under the pine trees chasing rabbits the whole time. She came back dirty, exhausted, but happy - I was exhausted from worry.

Silly beagles.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts