Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif Lately i've caught Lucky eating wood. If I start a fire he will scamper off with bits of pieces to munch on under the table.

I can't seem to get him to break that habit. A pencil is like caviar to him. My sons hockey stick is like a giant lolipop - just to irresitable for him.

I'm worried this can't be good for him - and he has plenty of bones and toys of his own.

D.

·
Registered
786 Posts
You have the same problem as me. I let the girls outside and they are chewing on sticks. The other day Jasmine came in and kept coughing until some pieces of wood came up. All I can picture is a trip to the emergency vet? :angryfire:

I don't know how to break them of this habit.

They also try to sneak pieces into the house. :greendevil:

·
Registered
540 Posts
My girls like wood also. They grab any stick and have even chewed on my pine table legs, which is no issue to repair. They have munched on a baseboard. I know that any sharp edge could cause a potential problem and try to prevent wood chewing, but they seem to be outgrowing it more and more. Our biggest problem now is still sticks. I think we are at a stage of doing the best we can at watching what they pick up, but sometimes I know there will be some wood chewing. I just keep my fingers crossed. In the house I spray with Bitter Apple and that works, but outside I can't spray the entire yard.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Seems like all I can is be more vigilant.

Bitter Apple - heard of it, does it stain or is it clear ?

D.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I also use the bitter apple in the house on different things. No staining and no odor that I can deteched.

My coffee table in my living room looks like I have termites. Its the perfect height for them to knaw on... :freak:

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Maggie also likes to eat wood. I wouldn't worry so much if she just chewed but she chews and swallows. She hasn't gone after my furniture but she isn't alone enough to do that. I tried bitter apple on a wicker basket when we first got Maggie. She licked it all off the basket and then went after the bottle that I had left sitting on the end table and chewed the bottle until I was able to get it back.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Bitter Apple never worked on my Lucky. He just licked it off and went right to chewing it. He never chewed wood. He always preferred soft leather when he was a pup. He just grew out of it. I just learned to get everything out of his reach before he grew out of it.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Fin will chew on anything. He's all about the destruction of the item and not actually eating the item. It bugs me so much because I find little pieces of paper, wood, plastic, rubber, basically anything he can chew up. I swear he has ADD though because he'll start chewing on a great bone and within 5 minutes he's onto something new and probably something more valuable to me.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Gage is a wood chewer too. He won't bother furniture, but pencils and sticks are like treats to him. I really try to keep them away from him, because as a puppy he did get a splinter caught in his throat. Not a fun time.

·
Registered
862 Posts
As a pup, Boeing loved to chew on one of the armrests on my mom's reclining chair. (It's golden teak wood and quite expensive and there's no way we can repair it :doh: ) Then, thank goodness, he just grew out of it. Now, he just prefers to chew (and shred) kitchen towels. You should see all these rags in my kitchen /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
If bitter apple doesn't work, try using vinegar diluted with water. Charlie would sneeze and walk away. He also hates bitter apple.

Charlie mom

·
Registered
157 Posts
I wish I could help. Tippi grabbed a stick today while laying outside, but all she does is breaks off pieces and then makes a big show of spitting them out, then she looks at me. Sometimes when she does this I get the feeling that she's trying to tell me that she's angry with me for some perceived injustice. What do you think?

Lora&Tippi
---------------

My little dog: A heartbeat at my feet
Edith Wharton
---------------

1 - 13 of 13 Posts