Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When Duke was so sick a few weeks ago, we figured the only thing he could have eaten in the yard was the green apricots falling off the tree. We just couldn't find anything else back there, even though the labs have been eating the apricots for years. We just figured Duke is much smaller and he's eating them green, so that must be the problem. But he was really sick.

Over the weekend, Dave found what we think could be the real culprit....mushrooms in the yard. We had originally searched for them and didn't find any, but, like Dave said, Duke may have eaten what was there and they are just now popping back up. He pulled them all up and we have been searching the yard every day. I found more yesterday.

All the research I've done says you can't get rid of them without tearing up your soil and grass and even then the fungus may come back. I don't want to run the risk of Duke ever eating another (one site actually said that the best thing to do was to teach your dog not to eat them.....obviously, this person never had a beagle!).

Anybody have any tips on how to get rid of the mushrooms for good? I don't mind the daily yard search, but those suckers can come up so fast and I don't ever want to miss one. We never had any before now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
271 Posts
Can you ask a lawn maintance or pest control company what to use to kill the mushrooms but will not hurt your pets?

We get mushrooms certain times of the year, and the lawn guy sprays the yard and they go away for a while.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the link, Jamie. From what I've read, until the source is gone, the mushrooms won't be. The source must be the soil at this point since my son picks up the wasted regularly and there are no stumps or mulch for it to feed off around it.

Is the yard spray non-toxic, Steph&Molly? I know when they spray for bugs it is, but I don't let Dave use any kind of Round Up or fertilizer in the back yard because.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
271 Posts
I'm not sure. I'll have to ask. I know the dogs can't go outside until after it dries, so it probably is, but I don't know which is the worse of the two evils?

Maybe the health food store or a plant nursery would know.

Sorry I'm not much help.
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top