Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
recently homer has started puking after he eats in the evening.the store we usually buy his food was out for a long time so we had no choice to switch to a new one.he didn't really care for it but he ate it and it agreed with his tummy(we had lots of problems finding one he liked that agreed with him).so when that was gone we started him back on his regular food since the store got in a new shipment.his whole eating manner has changed since he got his fave food back.now the first thing he does when uncrated in the morn is run right to his bowl and inhale all his food without chewing.he used to go potty,come back in,eat some and finish the rest later.he won't puke after this but when he gets his dinner about an hour after he eats he pukes it all up.i know he's not chewing the chunks since you can tell by looking and at the rate he eats it.so we started giving him half his normal amount and then about an hour later the rest and so far no puking.but he seems starving all day and night(he gets a couple of treats during the day too)i don't want to feed him more because it used to be just right for him(hunger wise)and he weight is properly maintained but i feel bad for him when he whines and starts licking his empty bowl.do you think this is normal?maybe when the newness of his regular food being back wears off he will start chewing again and we can give him his regular portions at the normal times he is used to?hubby thinks we should buy the stuff that is just ok to him and mix it in.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I suggest adding a small amount of warm water to it. That helps with sensitive tummies and for some reason it makes my dogs slow down and actually enjoy it more. There is also the trick of putting a ball or something in the dish which will make them slow down and eat around it. That doesn't work with my dogs. They pick up the ball, drop it on the ground next to their bowl and chow down. lol Good luck.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Try handfeeding him, you can control the pace and slow him down a bit which should help with the digestion of the food. Good luck!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
You also might want to check out the recent thread about adding green beans to Homer's diet. They are high in fiber and high-fiber foods make the dog feel full. Since they are low in fat/calories, they won't add any additional weight. I am sure there are other high fiber foods you could add but my mind is blank at the moment. Didn't click on link in Sephly's post so not sure if that is a website for an elevated bowl -- other BW members have used those with success.

·
Registered
786 Posts
My older dog **** inhales his food and then pushes the girls out of the way for theres. So I'm always standing there watching. What I've done lately is get one of his bones (the ones that come filled with stuff) and put it in the bowl. So far this has slowed him down.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I have also heard placing his food on a flat plate instead of a bowl helps. By doing this you can speard the food out giving him the idea that there's more & he doesn't eat it all in one bite and get full quicker.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the tips.i think i will try handfeeding him.he just takes anything out of his bowl and drops it next to it-including greens beans...lol.i just hope he will go back to normal soon

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Our Spook had a problem with regurgitating his food. It wasn't vomiting, but regurgitation of undigested food. He was diagnosed as having pyloric stenosis, but that doesn't mean your beagle has that problem.

Anyhow, we opted to try dietary changes before subjecting Spook to surgery. What we've done is change him to food for sensitive tummies, which I soak in water for 15 to 30 minutes before feeding. Then we feed him on an elevated feeder that Dusty improvised. This regimen has worked almost too well since he's gone from being razor thin to kind of chubby.
We figure better a little chubby than not being able to retain his nutrients. Here's a picture of the elevated feeding station.

Attachments

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks sandyj!!handfeeding was a disaster with food everywhere so i tried putting his bowl on a 2-step step stool(the very one he was terrified of and howled everytime i brought it out to use) and now that he has to stretch a little to get to his food he eats a little slower and all is well again!i have a duplicate stool to use and as a bonus he no longer howls at it but runs up and checks the top step to see if there is something for him to eat on it...lol-silly dog

1 - 10 of 10 Posts