Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first dog ever, and we picked our male beagle up yesterday from a very reputable breeder. I've want him to be an inside dog, and I am housebreaking him in an area in my fenced backyard.

The breeder gave us a book to read before we picked him up called The Beagle Handbook. I read it cover-to-cover twice already, but I still have a few questions.

1. My backyard has lots of grasshoppers around the fence and the dead ones are burrowed down under the grass. Mater has this insane ability to find them and put them in his mouth. I do my best to pull them out, but if he eats them will it cause problems? I don't him to get sick because of my inadequacies as a dog owner.

2. Are grass clipping bad too?

I'm sure there will be more questions in the future and these boards look like a great resource. Thanks in advance for any advice the board has.

·
Registered
472 Posts
We have 2 beagles and 1 of ours eats grasshoppers. She noses them around on the ground until they die and then she eats them
Now when you say grass clippings I'm assuming you mean the grass left after you mow the lawn?? ours do not eat that but they do eat grass that has not been cut yet.

·
Registered
205 Posts
You named him Mater? What a cute name!
Is he indeed, the world's best backwards driver?

JoJo eats bugs constantly at night. We have to go out with her to discourage her from eating them. They find the weirdest stuff, don't they??

She's never really munched on grass clippings, but does eat grass if her stomach is upset. (I think it helps them to throw up?)

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I don't believe that grasshoppers would be harmful to him unless insecticide has been used to rid the yard of them. As for grass...well I think you'll find that Mater is going to prefer fresh grass on occasion but will probably prefer to roll around in the old grass clippings just to see what kind of mess he can make. lol

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Our Susi eats all sorts of horrid things, her favourite being mice. Some mice are slightly poisonous and cause her to be sick and have the runs, frogs can do the same. However, the odd grasshopper? I wouldnt worry too much.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
I dont have any experience with the grasshoppers, ours seem to enjoy crickets!! Every once in a while we get some in the house and much to my disgust, I find only their legs lying around

Two of our beagles like to eat grass occassinally and do throw it right back up! I have had to chase Cole around the yard with a wad of grass clippings in his mouth, I dont think it is harmful but I try to catch them and say No!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Snoopy eats anything. Bugs, worms, moles, rocks, acorns, weeds, pine cones, etc. The only thing that has made her sick is a mole. And she loves to eat the globs of grass that are left after mowing. You know the chunks that come off the mower? Yes, that's the ones. I don't know why she is so attracted to that but she LOVES it.

·
Premium Member
2,594 Posts
Mine haven't munched on grasshoppers, that I know of. They have eaten other bugs without serious side effects. A little bit of grass eating won't hurt Mater(love the name, btw). Phoebe got carried away with eating growing grass to the point she irritated her stomach lining and had to be put on ulcer meds
But, that's my Phoebe, she does everything full force!

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Originally Posted By: RosColeI dont have any experience with the grasshoppers, ours seem to enjoy crickets!! Every once in a while we get some in the house and much to my disgust, I find only their legs lying around

Two of our beagles like to eat grass occassinally and do throw it right back up! I have had to chase Cole around the yard with a wad of grass clippings in his mouth, I dont think it is harmful but I try to catch them and say No!
Same here. Coco also enjoys trying to eat bees

·
Registered
131 Posts
Leo LOVES grass, though sometimes he does get an upset stomach. He hasn't really had the opportunity to eat grasshoppers, but he does eat earwigs. The first problem with earwigs is that they move. Second of all, I think he knows I think that earwigs are the most despicable/creepy bugs on the face of the planet. They have never made him sick, and I choose to look at it as Leo trying to make his mom's world a little brighter one eaten earwig at a time

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.