Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i think its common knowledge that dogs eat grass when they are sick so it makes them vomit and feel better, but is there other reasons why a dog would eat grass?

lately, my two beagles love to eat the grass. they will find all the long peices then just sit there and chew. they do not show any signs of illness and are both on a top quality dry diet (Eukanuba). its just as if they love the taste...

anyone elses beagles do this?
Know any reason why both of mine would do this?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Mine eats grass, bushes, flowers and pretty much anything else; he's more like a horse grazing than a dog. It doesn't seem to be giving him any trouble.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Sticks, grass, leaves...whatever...Starla is always interested in anything edible.

·
Registered
890 Posts
We used to have a dog that did that too. Now we have a beagle that will eat anything, even if it isn't edible. Of course she throws it up later...on the rug.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Oh yes! Our guys love grass! There is a certain type of grass that grows near us (don't know what it is) that is particularly appetizing to Roscoe and Cole. We could be walking at a brisk pace and if this particular grass is on the side, they keep walking fast and snap at the grass, trying to get as much as they can!
Sometimes they throw up but not all of the time!

·
Registered
29 Posts
George is an avid grass eater. He's never thrown up, and he has never gave any signs that he is sick, or has a tummy ache.

We will be walking, and he just chomps it all up. I think its pretty normal for this breed to do that. In fact, I just googled it and the expert says that most dogs eat grass due to an upset stomach, and they want to vomit. If they arent vomitting, then just leave them be. Grass also can loosen up their stool.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Two of ours eat grass when they want to throw up - Moosie does it almost every day (eat grass, throw up twice, move on). Booker does it less often but definitely some mornings she wakes up and asks to go out - not to pee or poop but to eat grass until she throws up. I think they have acid indigestion - grass is their Rolaids!

All of ours, however, also eat grass at other times and do not throw it right back up. It is usually the new green stuff at the side of the path - there must be some varieties that are more gourmet than others.

So I would say there are two reasons for eating grass - because they want to throw up, and because the particular grass they are eating is tasty.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Grass is their rolaids. Good one.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts