Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live on the water, and it's that time of year again - duck and geese mating season. While the ducks hang around all summer in the area, the geese seem to only hang around for a little while, then move on. Unfortunately, while they are here they poop and poop and poop. And we're talking little logs the size of a small dog's. This has made my walks with the kids not as fun lately.

Ruby, for some reason, LOVES the goose poop. She constantly tries to eat it. The poop, for the most part, is green. I assume that the geese eat grass and other plants, making it that color. This makes sense why Ru loves it. She loves to eat grass. So to her, these little logs look like processed grass treats to her. I have the exact same issue with her during the summer, with clumps of grass left behind by lawn mowers (I call 'em Ru's grass cakes!). She can't get enough of them, whether they're freshly cut cakes, or old dried up cakes. I don't like her eating those, and I'm even a less fan of her eating the goose poop.

This has made walks not as fun. Bailey has no interest in the goose poop (though he's been showing slight interest in his own lately, but that's another story), except to maybe pee on some occasionally. But trying to yank her away and correct her without disrupting, scaring or confusing Bailey is difficult. This is where walking two dogs at the same time doesn't work well! Imagine me trying to fish in my pocket for a poop bag, while trying to yank Ruby away from goose poop, while trying not to yank Bailey while he's pooping. Ugh!!

Luckily, Ru hasn't gotten sick from the multiple times that I've been unsuccessful in steering her clear of the bad snack. Has anyone had any similar issues? Or have any idea how bad goose poop could be?

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
Max and Daisy recently had Giardia and the vet said that it comes from drinking lake, pond, river, etc water or it can come from eating the poop of other animals. It was easily fixed with some meds, but the runny poops and accidents were no fun! I would think that it would be possible for Ruby to get Giardia from the goose poop.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Oh boy, do I know about this issue. Before we moved, I used to take Roscoe to a nearby dog park, which was on the other side of a really large open field. Geese were everywhere and so were their droppings. It was like candy to Roscoe, I could hardly get Roscoe to the enclosed area b/c he would just go nuts! It was just disgusting!

Now, we live only a short walk from a gorgeous lake and I can't take the dogs there b/c of the goose plop all around the lake. It really bums me out but it is just too gross (and I am sure that can't be good for them).

·
Super Moderator
5,249 Posts
I have 2 poo eaters. Molly and Jake will eat just about kind of poo. I try to stop them because of disease and worms. The goose poop is sooooooo gross!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts