Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a problem and I hope you can help me about this.
My lil girl Bonny (almost 4 months old) is eating everything when we are out. I mean she is eating garbage but this is a little problem. The main problem, she is eating crap !! At first she was eating her own poo. Now she lefted this habbit but she is still eating other dog's or cat's or any poo. I guess I tried everything to solve this problem but still no progress. Beside that when she is out of leash and when she found a poo to eat she is running away for me. I think she knows I'm angry with her when she eats poo but didn't left this bad habbit. Any idea or experience?

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
Daisy was doing this (she's 4 months and one week) but once she learned the "leave it" and "drop it" commands it has gotten better. She is still curious, but as long as I pay close attention and say "leave it" when she starts sniffing she won't pick it up.

·
Registered
751 Posts
If she is not on the leash, you will have little control over what she does. I would recommend, until she learns, walk her on the leash. When she goes for it, give a sharp "no", or I use "leave it" when Marley gets near anythng I think he might grab. I give a slight tug on the leash. He wears a harness so hardly feels it but knows to steer clear. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
The leave it command was one of the first we learned in obedience class. We worked with the dogs on leashes. We gave the leave it command and prevented them from going to take whatever we were using by holding them with the leash. Then we picked it up, said "take it" and gave it to them. Maggie is very consistent with "leave it" and "take it', however she is not good with "drop it" so I have to stay alert when we walk and tell her to leave it before she actually gets something. On a walk I would just give the leash a little tug and say "leave it" in a firm voice and keep on going.

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
Originally Posted By: Bonny's DadHow did you teach her these commands?
The trainer had me hold a treat in my hand sort of between my thumb and fingers. Daisy could lick at it but not get to it, and I had to say "leave it" over and over until she sat and left it alone. As soon as she left it, then I gave her the treat. It took a bit of time but she finally got it. The trainer also had me put a treat on the floor with my hand cupped over it. This one is much harder to get the dog to leave it alone, but it eventually worked also.

To teach her "drop it" we took one of her toys to class and when she got it in her mouth told her to "drop it" when she did she got a treat. I had to use drop it just last night when she got a hold of a paper clip from somewhere. I just forcefully said "drop it" and she spit it on the ground.

I won't say it always works, but she complies most of the time.

Also, with both commands she just had to learn to associate leaving it with not messing with it and dropping it with letting it go, which is where the treats come in.

HTH!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.