Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my beagle puppy for 5 weeks now (he is 14weeks) i never cleaned his ears, i look inside and i see that they are clean (no wax) should i clean them anyways ? How deep shoud i go ? Please help, first time dog owner. Thanks

·
Registered
6,196 Posts
Hi
Good you're asking since beagles tend to get ear infections due to their long ears. I doubt though your dog has a problem right now..however look for red or inflamed skin which is a sign.. just gently clean the outer folds by putting the solution on a cotton ball..put it in the ear and squish it around..dont go deep. I get the solution from the vet but you can also get some at a petstore or wipes specifically for ears.
We would love to see pictures.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I only clean their ears if they've got some gunk - and yes, don't go deep. I find Xerxes has very clean ears - but if he's swum or had a bath, I make sure to REALLY get his ears dry.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi
Good you're asking since beagles tend to get ear infections due to their long ears. I doubt though your dog has a problem right now..however look for red or inflamed skin which is a sign.. just gently clean the outer folds by putting the solution on a cotton ball..put it in the ear and squish it around..dont go deep. I get the solution from the vet but you can also get some at a petstore or wipes specifically for ears.
We would love to see pictures.
Thanks, i took him to the vet and he did it.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
He is soooo cute. Did I miss his name?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
His name is Parvo😅 to answer your question before you ask, he got sick very sick the day we bought him..he almost died without gettjng the chance to name him, so when he survived we named him after the desease lol

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Aww! That's cute. A reminder of what he's conquered.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've had my beagle puppy for 5 weeks now (he is 14weeks) i never cleaned his ears, i look inside and i see that they are clean (no wax) should i clean them anyways ? How deep shoud i go ? Please help, first time dog owner. Thanks
It is advisable to clean the ears from time to time, even if you do not see it, dirt accumulates.

·
Registered
77 Posts
cute pup. Even if you dont do a full blown cleaning put a little solution on a cotton ball and give a wipe you want to get them used to it it will go a lot easier when they really need it.same goes for nail clipping and brushing its just as important to teach them the grooming regiment as potty & leash training.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts