Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Because puppies are learning all the time, training can begin as soon as you bring your puppy home. Start by helping your pet learn the house rules, establishing a good routine and creating an environment where the humans are the leaders. Puppies are easily motivated with small food tidbits and can be taught commands such as sit, down, and stay. Due to puppies' short attention spans, training sessions should be brief but frequent. Focus on techniques using positive reinforcement, such as small food tidbits, play and attention. Family members can establish control by teaching their puppy that each reward must be earned by following the basic command.

Displaying subordinate, deferential postures (such as sit, down or stay) will result in the puppy receiving a reward. To receive anything of value (affection, attention, food, play, and walks), the puppy should perform a simple obediance task such as sit or stay. Think of this as doggy please, which allows the puppy to learn that awards are earned and not given on demand. Because getting what the puppy wants is a reward, food rewards should be phased out gradually and used only intermittently. Progress to teaching the puppy to sit and lie down in a specific spot during meals or anytime you need the puppy to be quiet. Initially, puppies may only comply for short periods of time, but with continued reinforcement, they will do so for longer and longer periods. By controlling a puppies behavior and resources, an owner can become the leader.

·
Registered
118 Posts
How do you suggest progressing from sit/stay to staying in one place while eating. Gracie has two spots she tends to sit in while we are eating and we have started to say where do you belong (both our parents used this phrase with our childhood dogs) once she sits in either of them. I'm worried that we could be confusing her because we are saying it for either spot and am also concerned because she generally engages in some attention seeking behavior before she settles down. Hubby and I have been trying to determine if we should ignore the attention seeking behavior or keep having her 'come'... or are we just enforcing that attention seeking behavior?

·
Registered
96 Posts
I know for Corey I have one general term. stop it he knows that whatever he's doing when I say it he should stop, so she may understand that either spot is okay.
My last dog also took multiple commands for off as I was really bad about switching it out with get down she never showed any problems with it once she learned that they both meant the same thing. Though we didn't have a lay down command so there wasn't two things down meant.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would start buy buying a matt of some sort, and placing in a good spot, where it's out of the way, but also where the dog can see you. I would then take baby steps, training your puppy to sit, and stay on the matt. It takes time as they are puppies for how long they can stay. But work on this, longer and longer, reward is the best. Eventually, you will be able to take the pup to the spot, and tell them to sit/lay/ and stay while you eat. I believe you just need to pick one spot for the dog to sit and stay while you eat, not just where it wants as long as it's not in the kitchen, ect.

All beagles/dogs go through the attention phase, just like children, they need to learn that you are in control. If you don't want to play, they need to learn that they then need to amuse them selves. If you are busy, and say they keep bringing a toy to you, turn away and ignore the dog. No matter how much they dig, bark, ect at you to get attention, ignore. They will soon get the hint that play time is when you say it is not when they do. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Thanks for the help! I really like the idea of using a mat. One of her spots is on a pillow, so the transition should hopefully be a little easier. I even the the perfect place in mind...now I just need to get the mat and inform hubby of the new plan! Thanks again!

·
Registered
127 Posts
We don't have a table to eat at, so we eat dinner on our laps on the couch/loveseat. Unfortunately, Abby will NOT leave us alone, so lately we've just been crating her while we eat. How can we start training her to leave us alone while we eat so that we don't have to keep putting her up?

(Abby's 7 mos old)

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally Posted By: Abby 01/15/09We don't have a table to eat at, so we eat dinner on our laps on the couch/loveseat. Unfortunately, Abby will NOT leave us alone, so lately we've just been crating her while we eat. How can we start training her to leave us alone while we eat so that we don't have to keep putting her up?

(Abby's 7 mos old)
Crating your dog is fine while you eat. As stated before with the other beagle owner, you can try training them to stay on a matt while you eat, whether you are at a table or not. They are able to understand that when you eat, it's time for them to stay on the matt. Cassidy has does not have a matt ar our house, but does know that she has to go lay down somewhere in the house away from us. However, if the dog is in your face and just does not stop, then crate the pup while you eat, preferably where it cannot see you so it's not barking at you the whole time.

Has Abby had any obediance training?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Amber - Abby does not have any formal obedience training. She knows several commands that we have taught her - sit, down, stay, come, etc. Good Canine Citizen training is offered in our area, but only after the dog is 6 mos old and only certain times of the year. I am going to try to find out when the next class starts as I saw in the paper that the summer class just graduated a few weeks ago.

We have been lucky that Abby doesn't bark at us when she's crated while we eat. I'm glad to read that you don't think it's necessarily a bad thing for her to be crated during this time 'cause I have been worried about it.

If we decided to train her to stay in one spot while we eat (outside the crate) how do we do it? (What are the steps?)

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The steps to matt training. First, find a reasonable spot in your house that the matt can stay that is out of the way and is a permanent spot. Then, gradually, and this will take time, have Abby come to the spot and sit, and say place or whatever short keyword you would like to use. Then treat. Eventually, Abby is going to get that when you say spot, she should go to it and sit. Now, once this phase is complete, it's time to work the stay command. Tell her spot, and then stay. Sometimes it helps to stand in front of the matt while she is on it, and give her the stay command, wait 5 seconds, and then treat. Gradually wait longer and longer, and begin stepping away from the matt. Now, this will be very rewarding once you get this down pat. Just take the time and let me know if you have any more questions.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Wow, thank you SO much! We have already been working with her on stay so I'll just integrate it into this training. I really appreciate your help!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Just wanted to leave a quick update on Gracie's progress so far: we haven't been to the store yet to purchase a mat, but wanted to get started on the training process. As we were tossing around ideas in the kitchen, we noticed Gracie was sitting in her favorite kitchen spot...a soft, cushy floor rug...Bingo! So we moved the rug to a good location and did some mini training sessions with sit/stay on the rug. Before dinner we put a couple of her play alone toys on the rug, had her come (tiny treat) to the rug, and then did sit/stay with a favorite treat. She did fabulous! She started to walk off once, but a simple sit/stay with praise fixed that. Yesterday we did some more mini trainings with the same results at dinner. So far so good!! Thanks Again!!

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That's great that I have been able to help, and just let me know if you have any more questions!
Keep up the great work! And give Gracie a big ARROOO! from us all!

·
Registered
118 Posts
I think Gracie must be reading my posts...she decided to prove me wrong last night! We had to be VERY consistent all through dinner to keep her (and get her back to) on her matt. Yesterday seemed to be a boundary testing day for her, she tested us on her walk too. The good news? She learned that mom has some firm boundaries. Any ideas if a few more thinking challenges today would cut back on the feistiness? Or should we be aiming to work a little more of the physical energy out?

Ugh, I should have known I was speaking too soon about how good she was doing!

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just like kids, they are going to test you. Keep up with what you are doing, because this is all new to her, and she will realize, well okay mom's not playing and this isn't just a two day thing. Keep it up, and she will get the hang of it. Just like kids, some days are better then others!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Thanks Amber, I really appreciate all the help and support!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts