Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I've posted about this before. How many of you have hunting Beagles? Ours are back yard hunters. We get up early to get ready for work about 5:30 a.m. I let the doggies out in the large fenced in back yard. If a critter has been out there in the night or early morning, like a mouse, cat, possum, etc. they will get on the scent and run and sniff and yip and bark and go crazy. Sadie, our girl can run the scent for hours and never give it up. Well, this morning they got on a scent at 6:15 a.m. They were only at it just a few minutes and I was about to go out and bring them in as they were too noisy. And the phone rings. It is our neighbor asking that we bring our doggies in, that they are trying to sleep. I wish critters would stay out of our yard!!!

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
Charlie barks loud too. I do not let him out that early. Night time barking scares me somethimes. He would just echos to the neighbor's dogs. So far no call, but last my neighbor gave him a dirty look while walking him.

·
Registered
276 Posts
ours will bark if they smell something...most of the time one will find a scent and bark and the other will be barking across the yard and not knowing what they are barking at until they shoot like a missile to the other dog. We will usually go out and try to calm them down and it works sometimes...but usually we bring them inside for awhile

·
Registered
276 Posts
wow I didn't realize how close you lived when I first posted...

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Duke is quiet, though he does have a loud bark, he doesn't use it very often. Violet is a different story, loud and often is her motto!

When we let them out early, it's for a few minutes to potty and back in until after 7. Then, all our neighbors are up for work, so they can play and not make anybody mad.

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rocky, my goodness, you live in Crestview? That is very close!!

How do you calm a Beagle on a scent trail? ha ha Ours don't calm down. We have to bring them inside. Then Sadie will pace and whine and paw at us to let her back out. Pooh Bear will lay down and be quiet.

I'm just going to have to be even more deligent about making sure they are quiet until 7 a.m. or after.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Monty barks alot when he catches the scent of something, but luckily he's not a morning person! He goes and does his business, then comes back to bed till after 7:30, then he moves to the couch. Usually, he's still on the couch when i get home from work. i wonder what he does all day?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Originally Posted By: Mom of 2 BeaglesRocky, my goodness, you live in Crestview? That is very close!!

How do you calm a Beagle on a scent trail? ha ha Ours don't calm down. We have to bring them inside. Then Sadie will pace and whine and paw at us to let her back out. Pooh Bear will lay down and be quiet.

I'm just going to have to be even more deligent about making sure they are quiet until 7 a.m. or after.
it usually consists of me giving them a solid HEY, knock it off...but usually we have to bring them in...the HEY is probably louder than the barking

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
At least you guys don't have a crazy 24/7 noise ordinance - mine aren't allowed to bark ANYTIME. And the neighbor's cats often come into my fenced yard - and their dogs run loose (of course the leash law doesn't matter, it's just barking dogs that matter). I understand noise ordinances that are reasonable. My dogs are usually inside by 7:30 pm - and never out before 7:30 or 8 am, but I have to bring them in if they bark at all. I don't let them bark incessently, but if something is in their yard I think they have a RIGHT to bark.

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Glenda, I remember you telling us about that 24/7 noise ordinance. That is terrible. Yes, if someting is in their yard they should bark at it. They are protecting their territory.

Our neighbors don't get up till 7, so I will try to keep our doggies quiet until 7 or after.

·
Registered
182 Posts
We have this issue too. There is some little critter that lives in our woodpile and the beagles think it's Disneyland.

Buster won't get up on the pile, he stands at the bottom and barks at the other two. Then there are the squirrels who hang out in the neighbor's trees that edge our fence. I try to keep them from barking before 8 but sometimes I feel like my calling them in is louder than their barking.

If we haven't been home and we let them out first thing they go out in full arroo and I think well the neighbors know we are home,

The next door neighbor only complained once and that was about the foxhound. She was MUCH louder than the beagles. The neighbor behind me can't say much because he is the one who taught Blaze to bark at the fence. We used to have chain link and he insisted on coming up to the fence and trying to call her over. She learned to bark everytime she saw him in the yard and taught it to all the rest as they joined our family. We ended up replacing the chain link with wood to stop the barking and he was upset. Too bad!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.