Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am at my wits end. Pepper our 2year old beagle has a ear infection and the vet prescribed some ear drops 3x daily. Sounds easy enough. Well I am sitting here COVERED in dog hair after our first attempt. She went spastic!!! Wouldn't let us near her with the bottle in our hands. I dont know if i dot any in at all.. I dont know what to do... I tried holding her in the submissive position, (me behind her with my arms wraped around her front), Tried treats, Tried having her on her back whilst my partner gave her belly rubs, I dont know what to do. If we dont give her these drops her ears wont get better.... Anyone have a miracle up their sleeve????????

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
She probably resists becuase it hurts her... Maybe try with someone else to hold her and you put the drops.... A couple of days like that and she will feel much better and probably will let you do it.

·
Registered
139 Posts
hiya
Meg is always getting them. we have a sluice stuff to clean them out for 1 day,then the next day we r supposed to put the drops in and so on and so forth, 1 day 1 thing, the next day, the other until it gets better. We have tried every which way and she goes mental. you can try having someone else hold their hand shut tight over a biscuit or something, so as she is trying to get the treat out of the hand, you can concentrate on trying to get some drops at least within a few miles of her ear !!! good luck. the only thing is, Meg now knows all our tricks !! let me know how you get on with it. x

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Is it anti-biotic drops that say to keep in the refrigerator? That is what Pooh Bear had last time he had a bad bacterial ear infection. I set them out and got them to room temperature before putting them in. He doesn't like them, he will started walking away when he sees the bottle. But he will let me put them in his ears without too much fuss. Of course he is 8 and a pretty mellow fella. Maybe mention it to the vet and see what they have to say.

Pooh Bear had antibiotic pills too, but his was a very bad bacterial ear infection.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
The thing that works the best with my Maggie is to not let her see what I am getting ready whether it is drops or pills. I get everything ready out of her sight and have my plan in my head -- seriously! If I know exactly what I am going to do, I can do it much quicker, almost before Maggie realizes what is happening. If there is a lot of preparation or a lot of vocalizing trying to get her to come to you, there is no way Pepper is going to cooperate. Just get in there, do what you need to do & get out!

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Awwww norty Jamie for suggesting such a cruel thing /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/tired.gif but I must admit I have cut toenails on a sleeping dog.

Anything to do with ears, eyes and noses are always difficult with dogs and cats. It's definately a two person job and maybe a muzzle might be a good idea. I'm not saying that your dog might bite you but muzzles do tend to calm a dog down somewhat and that should make things easier.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Actually, when Maddie had an ear infection, we did put the drops in while she was sleeping! Also, I went in nice and slow, petting her belly, then her chest, head, and spent some time petting her ears. Then I went in quick! She shook her head a few times and then gave up and went back to sleep.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the responses everyone. We had two people to start with but she resist sooo much we are scared we might hurt her by holding her. The drops arn't cold or my hands, she just seems to hate it no matter what. I love the sleeping idea, Very sneaky but I think she would clue on because she wakes up even if we walk past her. Im just really worried because its a pretty serious ear infection, she is on the ear drops, plus tablets. Time to bust out some seriously tempting treats..... Mabey a T-Bone /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/sick.gif only joking... sorta.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I doubt you would hurt her by holding her because she won't resist against you so much so that she would cause herself pain.

If you took her to the vets or groomers to have it done and she resisted them they would put a muzzle on her and hold her down.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
WOOOOOOHOOOOOOO!!! We have a winner!!!

After all that stress we have figured out a way that works!!

Chris my partner craddles her like you would a baby and sings to her and i come up behind her head and without showing her the bottle i quickly drop it in. She even lets me do the other ear too!!! I cant believe it!! She is such a daddys girl. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

·
Registered
959 Posts
WE have that same problem with Cobi and had with Chipper. It took two of us one to distract and talk and hold, and the other to actually do the deed. But I did warm up the drops and made sure that I took some time with them before I went for the ears. AFter about two days, we got into a routine, and that was easier, but the first days are awful.

Anyone have tips on brushing teeth...yikes those canines are large!

Cathy J

·
Premium Member
1,632 Posts
Spencer got so many ear infections as a puppy that he will now just sit there and let me put them in. He was even great with eye drops believe it or not. Just make sure to massage it around after you put the drops in to make sure that you get the solution everywhere.

It will also help for next time if you continue to clean her ears. I use a baby wipe around my finger and wipe out pretty much as far as I can reach without forcing. It helps because they get used to you touching their ears and you keep their ears clean helping to prevent another infection or finding one in the beginning stages before it becomes painful.

I am glad you found something that works.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
We haven't had any ear infections here since Romeo was a puppy (7 years ago) when he had a couple. His breeder fed "Pro Plan" and I continued that for a while - UNTIL I learned that MANY ear infections are actually caused by food allergies - and may dog foods contain corn and/or wheat - both allergens to many dogs. Once I changed from the Pro Plan to Nutro Natural Choice we had no more problems - except for an adult rescue that came here with an ear infection along with other health problems. Once it was cleared up we had no more ear infections. Funny how vet medicine has changed - they used to say that ear infections in "floppy earred dogs" were caused by moisture in the ear - now, according to my vet, the feeling is that most are allergy related. I'd check the dog food to see if it contains corn or wheat.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts