Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Winston has one ear that has some dark goop coming out of it. He doesn't seem too bothered by it although sometimes he paws at it. I clean his ears every week so he's really good at letting me clean this one daily. He had a bit of this a while ago and daily cleaning it cleared up, but this time it seems like more. Do you think he has an ear infection and does he need to go to the vet?

·
Registered
400 Posts
What do you clean it with? Cleaning with only water can compound the problem--which is why some people use a light vinegar+water mixture. I personally like the ear cleaner that my vet prescribed because it makes their ears smell really good

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I use an ear swab, with aloe, witch hazel and botanicals. There is absolutely no smell to his ear at all. It seemed gunkier tonight than last night, I will call the vet tomorrow.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Our first Beagle Cleo had that problem. The vet gave us ear drops and had us clean her ears 3x a day. Gunk came out every time. Have the vet or the tech show you how to clean properly so you clean it good, but not hurt his ears. We use an ear cleaner we bought at Petsmart. The vet usually has some available too, at a higher price of coarse.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I've also read that some food allergies can contribute to the constant buildup on this gunk. You may be able to ask your vet about this, or you can do some trial-and-error food testing of your own to see if switching diets help. Good luck!

·
Registered
229 Posts
I've heard that about the food allergies as well. My vet said that the 4 most commons food allergens are wheat, corn, chicken and beef. Squeegee had constant yeast infections in his ears and we've been trying a lamb and rice formula w/ no wheat or corn for about a month and so far no problems.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hubby took Winston to the vet this PM and we got ear drops AND pills. I guess I'm guessing how to do the drops and cleaning as Hubby wouldn't watch the vet (he nearly passed out when we took the cat in years ago so vet duty is mine) Good thing the vet showed me routine cleaning months ago.

I have Winston on Orijen, and he's done fabulous on it so I hope I don't have to go on the hunt for another good food. I also look for grain free treats. But I will keep that in mind if he gets another infection.
Thanks for your help and support. I sometimes feel like I over react to things, but I guess this time I didn't!

·
Registered
991 Posts
You are not over reacting! Our beagles depend on us to be the first line of defense in their health care. I would have done the exact same thing. Much better safe than sorry.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Originally Posted By: Winston's Mom I guess I'm guessing how to do the drops.
Put the dropper against the inside Winston's ear -- not too far down -- kind of where the ridges start inside the ear and gently squeeze in the number of drops the doctor prescribed in between the ridges. Then close the ear flap and gently rub the ear to help work the drops down. Many of the medicated ear drops are a suspension and need to be refrigerated and shaken well before you start. If you are not sure how quickly the drops will come out, practice in the sink first. Maggie bolts when she sees me take out the bottle but then doesn't mind the process.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts