Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We took Jazz to the vet today and they told us that she has an ear infection. She is on medication for 1 week.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
My female gets ear infections whenever she is pregnant. We don't seem to have an issue any other time, but I try hard to keep their ears clean and dry all the time. She is so good about getting ear drops in them now and that is a relief. It used to take 2 of us. I hope your little one starts feeling better soon.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I had massive issues with ear infections when Java first came home from the breeder (may be due to poor sanitary conditions or neglect...GRRR). We were given some great smelling ear wash/rinse and some ear drops. Nowadays, I ensure that his ears are dry as heck. I also check his ears every 1-2 weeks to see if there are any preliminary signs of infection. Sniffing also works :p

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
She is doing fine. When I put the medication in her ears she just looks at me and it looks like she is saying Can I help you?

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
We haven't head an ear infection here in the pack for years - except for the one that Lottie arrived with. In the past people were told that ear infections were common in floppy earred dogs because of moisture. It seems that now many vets feel that most ear infections are the result of food allergies. When I adopted Romeo in 2002 at the age of 8 weeks, he came with an ear infection and had a couple until I changed his food from what the breeder had recommended. After he was taken off a food with wheat and corn he never had another - and none of the other dogs have either. It's worth a try to keep the infection free. I'm sure that's not true of all ear infections - but it has worked here for the ten-pack.

·
Registered
721 Posts
For the past year or so, I've been using a homemade ear wash recipe I found online, and it works for Barney like nothing else ever had. He pretty much had chronic problems with yeast in his ears- that nasty reddish brown stinky goop, lots of itching and redness.

The solution is a mixture of witch hazel, boric acid, and gentian violet. It cleans and helps keep the ears dry, but also corrects the fundamental problem of a pH imbalance. Now I just do a little maintenance with the solution every few weeks, and his ears stay nice and non-smelly!
Plus it costs about two bucks a bottle to make, compared to a $30 tube of Mal-Otic which never worked anyway!

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
My Beagle Bay co-manager swears by apple cider vinegar as an ear wash, as well as many other things. I haven't used it, but she uses it for many things. I have my own ear washers here - Little Joe and Chloe are constantly washing ears around here. It's really funny to see one of the beagles laying down so Joe can do his ear washing job. I guess it must work, we haven't had an infection here for years.

·
Registered
847 Posts
We put a little mineral oil on a cotton ball and wipe the inside of his ears every time he gets bathed. Since it's once a week there's little time for gunk to build up. It only take a few seconds each ear.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I also new here and with a 13 month old, his name is Nova.
When he barks a lot he shakes head fast . There is no signs of discharge that I can see,. I do clean then with wipes once a week.
He doesn't seem to be in any pain at all ,but I feel its not right that when he barks a lot he just doesn't look right. So that's when he looks uncomfortable.Can any one HELP

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Shiloh does once in a while I don't know why they do that we have to take Shiloh to the vet in about 2 weeks and I will ask the vet, then I will pm.OK?

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I'm curious about the answer as well due to the fact that every time Maya barks it causes her to shake her head. I am currently putting ear drops in her ears to see if it helps.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey,
Sorry I never got back to you all about this. but we think the man reason why they do this is because they barked and they bark of loud and there ear drum hear it louder than we it actually is and they do that to calm down.

·
Registered
23 Posts
yeast and ears.......

I will also endorse the recipe for ear cleaner with gentian violet- it was life changing for one of my rescues. I have shared it with several people all of which give it rave reviews. I have seen colloidal silver as an ingredient in several dog ear products. Can anyone share any experience with it?? Is anyone familiar with this URL colloidal silver uses

·
Registered
2,270 Posts

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Ear infections and diet
DogAware.com Health: Ear Infections in Dogs

Many dogs suffer from chronic ear infections that are caused by a yeast overgrowth. Sometimes removing grains, yeast, and all sugary/starchy foods from the diet (including most fruit, potatoes, sweet potatoes, yams, corn, peas, and winter squashes) will help.

^^more in the link above^^

·
Registered
23 Posts
Ear Infections

Whenever my guys have gotten ear infections it has been from yeast. Not once have we had a bacterial infection. I too have bought way too many bottles of the Mal-Otic with poor results. What I have found that helps and really prevents as I use this a couple of days pre bath. It is a mixture of:
16 ounces alcohol
4 Tablespoons boric acid
16 drops Gentian Violet (the strongest concentration)
Shake well before using and this stuff will stain so be careful on the head shaking. What I have heard that works well but have never tried is the silver colloid. If anyone else has tried this and have information please share as I would love to know whether or not it works.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.