Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last Tuesday I took Pooh Bear to the vet to get his nails and anal glands done. While there I told them that he has been shaking his head all the time. They checked his ears and did a swab test of some stuff from his ear. It turned out to be a bacterial infection in his ears. They gave me some stuff to clean his ears, antibiotic ear drops and Cephelexin 500 mil. antibiotic pills. He has thrown up 3 times since being on this medication. I'm calling the vet today. Just wondered if anyone else's baby took this and had a sick stomach with it?

·
Premium Member
1,632 Posts
Spencer has never been on pills for an ear infection, it has always only been the ear drops which will clear it up in about a week or so.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I think most ear infections are yeast infections and not bacterial infections which might be why Pooh Bear required antibiotics as well. Unfortunately I have no experience with bacterial ear infections so I have no advice. Maya gets yeast infections in her ears and they only require drops to clear them up as well.

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just called the vet and explained that Pooh Bear has been throwing up. They are going to give him a different antibiotic. I'll pick it up today. thanks,

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have been giving the Cephelexin with his supper. I even tried giving just 1 pill a day instead of 2. I think it is just too strong for him.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Originally Posted By: SandyjIt often helps to give antibiotics with food unless there are specific instructions otherwise.
And I've always been told (probably an old wives tale...) to take yogurt with antibiotics as well - especially the probiotic stuff - since antibiotics clear out the good stuff from your system as well as the bad stuff, and therefore you need to replace the good stuff. We therefore give the hounds a bit of yogurt when they are on antibiotics and it seems to work - the only time any of them have had a reaction is when we have forgotten to do it and then they improved once we did. It might be worth a try (ours certainly never turn down a chance for some tasty yogurt)!

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll try some yogurt with his pill and supper. Both Sadie and Pooh are always begging to have my yogurt when I'm eating it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts