Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 5 year old Beagle has developed an ear cyst type spot on the outside of his ear. It started very small but has grown in size the past couple of months. I took him to the vet last month and they took a sample of the cyst and sent it off to be tested. The vet called and frankly she wasn't clear as to what it might be. It seems like a big pimple. It does not seem to be causing any discomfort because I can touch it without a reaction. Vet said they could remove it, but would have to put him under yada yada yada. Below is the best picture I could get of it. I'm probably going to make an appointment to get it removed, but wanted to check here first to see if anyone else has had an issue like this.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Ally had several kinds of "bumps" on her body, I always had them removed just so they wouldn't be a source of picking if she could get to them. My vet would do a check and if not concerning, would remove them during her deep dental cleaning so she only had anesthesia once. If it is a cyst (a sac filled with fluid or dead skin cells), the sac has to be removed fully or it will grow back. Not the case for skin tags, moles or fatty bumps, which don't grow back usually. If the vet couldn't identify it, likely is because it's made up of many different types of cells (vet or pathologist will look at the cell structure under a microscope to determine what it is). Disclaimer - I'm not a vet, just my experience with Ally - I ask lots of questions of my vet as I'm a science/medical geeky type.

Also, just will mention I had to ask my vet to combine procedures when at all possible. Might be a good convo to have with your vet or you might be paying for more than you need to an putting your dog at risk (any general anesthesia is a risk to even healthy dogs).

·
Registered
6,478 Posts
I recently found a hard tissue on the edge of Cassie's inner ear edge. I thought prrhaps it was a tick abd attempted to use my tick key but she would have none of that. She has a vet visit for a couple orher things so will see what this might be.
Gesture Whiskers Snout Close-up Foot

·
Registered
20 Posts
My beagle has bumps all over! Vet said they're nothing to worry about and they're common. When he has his teeth cleaned, the vet will remove some of them. Not sure when the cleaning will be though--Lansky has a heart murmur so there's concern about anesthesia. They don't bother him, though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts