Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
I check both the boys' ears weekly and double close after a bath. Wyatt (knocking on wood) has never had an ear problem and we've never had to do any cleaning. Just being really careful not to get water in the pups' ears during a bath is super helpful. If we get any in the boys' ears, I always dry it out really well with a towel. We did get some ear cleaning solution from PetsMart (I'd have to find the bottle now...) but haven't had to use it. I guess I wasn't much help, :eyes: but that is what the vet kept emphasizing to us when we got Wyatt...

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
Maggie's ears have been great, but I check them once a week.
During a bath, I plug them with cotton balls, so water doesn't go in. I also have some ear cleaner from the vet which I use after the bath (which isn't very often)

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I have never had to clean Rosa's ears in her whole 6 years of life...they are always spotless when I check them which is once a month.

Sherry's ears are also spotless at the moment so I shall do the same with her.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
The vet said to clean Maggie's ears weekly. I do check them weekly and clean about once a month. She doesn't mind having them cleaned I just don't do it as often because they seem Ok.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Ginger's ears have yeast infection, so they get checked at least once a week. I clean them using a solution the vet gave me of 1 part water, 1 part vinegar, and a tiny bit of alcohol. After cleaning I dry them with a cotton ball followed by Ottomax a few hours later to treat the infection.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I clean Lucky's ears about once a month. I use a solution I got from Petsmart but I don't know what it is called. He absolutely hates it. He runs when he sees the q-tips. Poor baby.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Our two clean each others ears!! Its amazing, they spend ages licking them. When we go to the vets he checks them, but has up to now not needed to clean them.

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
Charlie has been shaking his head quite often lately even though I've been cleaning his ears whenever I get a chance(monthly), he absolutely hates the bottle too. Since he is due for his rabies shot, I took him to the vet today, perfect check up. So I guess I kept up with his ears cleaning. The vet said allergy can cause the itch too, benadryl helps. They sell those ears cleaning solution at the pet stores, squirt bottle kind. I squirt a few drops, and Charlie will do the rest which is shaking his head. The wax is suppose to wash out.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Hunter has never had any problems with her ears, and I clean them with a solution from the vet about once a month. She hates it and runs if she sees the bottle. Casey has had one ear infection which the vet actually thought was and allergic reaction to the ear solution I used to clean her ears. I don't clean hers anymore but check them regularly. They are usually fine.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The cotton balls in the ears at bathtime is a great idea, I only wish I had thought of that a few weeks ago when Bailey got covered in double cream. He knocked the container over on the table and was licking up the puddle from the floor while standing directly underneath the slow cream waterfall still coming from above, by the time we discovered him he was covered! Plus he had that real hangdog look after eating all that rich cream "I feel sick mummy..."

We normally try to avoid getting his head and face too wet when bathing, but this time we had to really soak him to get him clean. It took three baths to really get rid of it all, plus a new collar! :rolleyes:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts