Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we have a kong for Scout, its the smaller one. We get the small log looking things to put in it. so when she chews it all up she is done with the kong. I have read about putting treats and peanut butter in them, but how would she get it out. Is it that she would have to lick it out. I think the hole might be too small for that. I can hardly get the end of the log out when she is done. so I am not sure how she would get the treats. Should I get a large one and use that? Maybe I am doing it wrong.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Not a dumb question, Drew. We were all new to this once. For lessons in "Kong 101", visit their website:

Kong Company

BTW, my 2 Beags have no interest in Kongs unless they contain food. Freezing them with goodies inside is a great idea to prolong the challenge; trainers will tell you that it provides mental exercise.

My 2 love frozen bananas in Kongs - see the website for other recipes, but keep in mind the time of day you feed whatever is in the Kong since what goes in, um, will eventually need to come out.... if you follow what I mean.

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
Drew, don't feel bad. I flunked Kong 101 too!! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif Shiloh did the same thing--ate the treats and then completely lost interest!! I tried freezing it, but somehow that didn't work out either. She's just not interested in rubber toys, I guess.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Drew, like many people on BW, I put peanut butter in the Kong and freeze it. I don't know how, but trust me, Hunter gets it out, even if it takes him a while. We lovingly call it the "Baby Sitter" because if we have people over, or need Hunter to be out of our hair for a little while, we give Hunter his Kong and he's occcupied for a while. He loves the challenge and obviously loves the peanut butter.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Blue LOVES his Kong, in fact we have two. We have been using peanut butter and little bits of cookie and then freezing it overnight to get the longest time out of it. The small puppy Kong gets us about 30 minutes and the medium puppy Kong gets us about 45 minutes (bigger hole less effort)!!! We are using his to get him adjusted to riding in the car again without freaking out, but we also give him one when we leave to go back to work after lunch. I have been told plain yogurt frozen in the Kong is good too. I have a thread that I started asking for tips and there are some great ideas in that thread.

·
Premium Member
2,594 Posts
We are a Kong loving pack at my house! I would recommend the red or green kong size for most beagles . I filled ours with kibble and peanut butter and froze it. It will keep your pup entertained for hours! :thumbup: Yes, they lick it and roll it around trying to get the loose bits out after it thaws.It was particularly helpful during the puppy days, and I still fix them from time to time for my adult dogs.

·
Registered
794 Posts
We have about 6 Kongs....we fill them with peanutbutter each morning, and the Beags run to their kennels and sit in them, waiting... :p

They only get 1 Kong, though. Polly has to use the black ones--she actually bit one of the red ones in half. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif
She is quite the chewer...

Also, sometimes I put a treat in the bottom, before I fill it with peanutbutter--keeps the peanutbutter from getting stuck waaay down there.

·
Registered
147 Posts
we put peanut butter and then stick little pieces of kibble to it-or if i really want to drive him nuts i put pieces of puperoni stuck to the peanut butter-homer will growl at it the whole time while he's working it and get all frantic and excited trying to get it out......lol

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
I fill Maggie's Kong with all kind of things...meat, vegetables, yogurt, pumpkin, low fat cream cheese, canned dog food, peanut butter with bits of kibble stuck to the sides, fruit, rice. I use a lot of variety and she is always excited to see her Kong. I balance calories though. If her Kong has higher calorie stuff, I cut back on her meal a little. If she has already had enough food for the day I give her pumpkin or veggies. I always have 2 Kongs in my freezer. If not frozen, Maggie can unstuff one in a few minutes. She has figured out that after she chews for a while if she throws the Kong down, stuff will fall out. She looks so funny going around the living room and tossing the Kong on the floor as hard as she can. I have even seen her drop it from the back of the couch. When Maggie was a baby and greatly testing my patience and sanity, I told my friend that the Kong was worth a million dollars because it gave me half an hour of peace.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Taurus mom-where did you find Kong's in Iowa-do you go to petsmart-- one of those type places? I havent seen them at Walmart/Target type places.
Thanks! I have wanting to try these... they are out in the pen during the day when we are gone, thought it might give them something to chew on later inthe afternoon until I get home
Judi

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So I took my small kong and put some peanut butter in it. Scout licked it clean. So I put some more in and froze it. The next day she didn't want the peanut butter at all, she just doesn't like it. So I tried cream cheese. She went crazy over the cream cheese. I don't know how she got it all out of there. Thanks for the suggestions.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Mine love the liver paste that is a Kong product inside their kong toys. I mix it with kibble and freeze it as well. Of course my silly dogs like ice cubes too so it doesn't take much to amuse them.

G

·
0 Posts
Glad I read this because I felt a little dumb because I had no idea what to do with his kong. I knew to put treats in it but I was thinking how would it be challenging if he can just take it right back out in less than 10 seconds lol

G

·
0 Posts
Well I tried the kong with peanut butter and treats inside and he loved it. Thanks for the ideas. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

1 - 16 of 16 Posts