Our Beagle World Forums banner

Duke was in the hospital

1K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  sarahc 
#1 ·
Duke was just fine most of Sunday, there was an incident with a knee-high nylon, but it passed (literally) and all was fine.

All of the sudden that evening, he started throwing up and id so for 1/2 hour straight. Then came loose stools, and then he started shaking. Time for emergency vet. I took him in and the vet said, "Well, he's a beagle, so the first thing we need to check for is a foreign object."

No objects could be found, and parvo test was negative (he's 4 months, so shots are done with). Blood work showed low red cells, meaning dehydration and she said his tummy was full of fluid. She didn't think the nylon had anything to do with it and that he got into something, but she was perplexed at the acute onset. He stayed overnight and was given an iv to rehydrate him and since his blood pressure was low, they gave him meds for that.

The next morning, he was eating and drinking and hadn't vomitted all night, so he got to come home. Within 10 minutes of getting home, he was chasing the cat, Phoebe! Woohoo, Duke is back! All is fine now, he's been on a bland diet since Monday, but he really likes it (rice, chicken and cottage cheese-I'll never be able to get him back on kibbles).

The vet has no idea what caused it and neither do I. I'm paranoid now about what he could have gotten into. There is a tropical plant in the yard that I noticed had chew marks on it. It's gone now. He also likes to get into the litter box. For now, we just make sure if he's out back, we're out there with him. He will put anything in his mouth! I'm just so glad he's ok, it scared the heck out of me and the family.

See less See more
#2 ·
It's so scary when they get sick suddenly like that.

The plant with the chewed leaves makes sense. Glad it's gone now.

My dogs enjoyed the dog food scare cuz they got alot of chicken and rice. Considering that I was always cooking that stuff, I was glad when things leveled off and the problem was uncovered. They are now back to their own food...phew.

~Denise

#7 ·
So glad he's ok :rotatesmiley2:
It's always scary when it comes on so suddenly.

I once had a dog brought to me with similar symptoms and was scratching my head over what could have caused it ...then barf...he threw up a bee!!!
Not saying that was the cause ...could have been lots of things. :animal18:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.