Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Like Donna, I have puppies' dew claws removed when they're just a few days old. It's a very simple snip then - they yelp and then are fine as soon as they're put back with mommy. As Donna said, it's more of a procedure when it's done later. Some breeders don't have them removed - but I do it as a preventative measure so they don't get caught on things.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Like Donna, I don't show my dogs, but I think that intact only refers to reproductive organs. I have the dewclaws removed strictly as a preventative measure to avoid future problems for the dogs. It's a SIMPLE snip snip and it's over - it only costs a few $$ per pup, and it gets the puppies to see the vet EARLY. I have a friend who was a cocker spaniel breeder - she did the dewclaws and docked the tails herself - I'm not that brave. If you wait too long it's like removing a bone instead of a claw. When the pups are just a few days old, it's soft and easily removed and only hurts them for a second - but if it's done later, it's more of a surgical procedure and much harder on them. Chloe still has her dewclaws and has never had any problems, but they do get long and are difficult to trim. I just routinely have dewclaws removed from my puppies at about 3 days. The first few litters we had here, my vet used adhesive tape to bandage the puppies - the last two, I suggested the liquid bandage instead (removing that tape was difficult on a squirming puppy) - he now uses the liquid bandage exclusively when removing dewclaws. Guess you can even teach a vet something!

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
That's exactly WHY I have it done. My vet charges $8/per puppy - a small price to pay to save them pain later and their parents' a lot of money later. It takes him about a minute per puppy to snip them out. The claws are very soft when the pups are little - but they harden as they get bigger. Most of my friends who are breeders DO remove the dew claws. It's SOOOO much easier on them when they're just tiny babies. I don't think I'd even consider removing them from an older dog or puppy UNLESS they were getting them caught and perhaps pulling them out. That could be painful for them - as well as leading to infections. That's just my opinion - but many dogs go through life wearing dewclaws without any harmful effects. Chloe is almost 8 years old and has never had a problem with hers.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.