Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made an appointment for Bodie to get Neutered in a few weeks. We're also going to have his duclaws removed during the procedure. There have been a couple of occasions where he's got caught up on something with them.

I'm curious if anyone else has had them removed and how it went.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
We always have the dewclaws removed on our pups, but it usually happens when they are about 5 days old and it is a very minor thing at that point. We've never had any complications from it and they simply heal on their own. A few dabs of alcohol occasionally, but that is it. I know when they get older it is a little bit more of a procedure and you may have a little more healing time, but it is nothing to be concerned about.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Like Donna, I have puppies' dew claws removed when they're just a few days old. It's a very simple snip then - they yelp and then are fine as soon as they're put back with mommy. As Donna said, it's more of a procedure when it's done later. Some breeders don't have them removed - but I do it as a preventative measure so they don't get caught on things.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Huh, that's interesting. I'm wondering why our breeder didn't remove them when he was a little guy. Is that a standard practice?

I know he trains beagles for field trials and maybe that's why. Since the AKC requires dogs to be intact for showing and activities such as field trails. Do removal of dewclaws null and void their AKC designation like neutering?

·
Registered
173 Posts
We got Shiloh's removed when we got him neutered also. We only got the back ones removed make sure he does not lick or bite the stich. When we got Jazz her declaws were removed and we got Jazz for the same breeder as Shiloh. That is weird the Jazz's declaws were removed and Shiloh's were not.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Brien, I don't actually know whether the AKC views dewclaw removal as something that disqualifies a dog or not. To be honest when I see that a dog needs to be intact I always thought that simply meant they needed their reproductive organs. Obviously I do not show my dogs. lol Sorry.

As for the dewclaws..I was told one time that the only dogs that really need their dewclaws are dogs that tree animals. Since I haven't seen many rabbits climb trees I never figured a Beagle needed them. I know dewclaws can cause issues with getting caught on things as you mentioned, but also because people forget that they do not naturally grind down (due to not hitting the ground) so if they do not keep them clipped they will grow back into the leg causing pain for the animal. That is why I have always had them removed.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Like Donna, I don't show my dogs, but I think that intact only refers to reproductive organs. I have the dewclaws removed strictly as a preventative measure to avoid future problems for the dogs. It's a SIMPLE snip snip and it's over - it only costs a few $$ per pup, and it gets the puppies to see the vet EARLY. I have a friend who was a cocker spaniel breeder - she did the dewclaws and docked the tails herself - I'm not that brave. If you wait too long it's like removing a bone instead of a claw. When the pups are just a few days old, it's soft and easily removed and only hurts them for a second - but if it's done later, it's more of a surgical procedure and much harder on them. Chloe still has her dewclaws and has never had any problems, but they do get long and are difficult to trim. I just routinely have dewclaws removed from my puppies at about 3 days. The first few litters we had here, my vet used adhesive tape to bandage the puppies - the last two, I suggested the liquid bandage instead (removing that tape was difficult on a squirming puppy) - he now uses the liquid bandage exclusively when removing dewclaws. Guess you can even teach a vet something!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Ben still has his dew claws. We adopted him when he was eight months old and already fixed. So I guess that nobody thought to remove them when he was a pup or during his snip-snip surgery.

Honestly I didn't even know what a dew claw was until this past summer when my coworker told me.

We have never had a problem with them getting caught or growing too long. I take him in regularily for nail trims as well.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
For us removing the dewclaws during the neutering will be an additional $150-$200. Personally I wish the breeder would of just done it when he was much younger. Obviously it would of saved us a lot of money and Bodie additional pain.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Yes indeed as it only cost me $6 per puppy to do it when they are 5 days old.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
That's exactly WHY I have it done. My vet charges $8/per puppy - a small price to pay to save them pain later and their parents' a lot of money later. It takes him about a minute per puppy to snip them out. The claws are very soft when the pups are little - but they harden as they get bigger. Most of my friends who are breeders DO remove the dew claws. It's SOOOO much easier on them when they're just tiny babies. I don't think I'd even consider removing them from an older dog or puppy UNLESS they were getting them caught and perhaps pulling them out. That could be painful for them - as well as leading to infections. That's just my opinion - but many dogs go through life wearing dewclaws without any harmful effects. Chloe is almost 8 years old and has never had a problem with hers.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Originally Posted By: Brien & Bodie
Huh, that's interesting. I'm wondering why our breeder didn't remove them when he was a little guy. Is that a standard practice?

I know he trains beagles for field trials and maybe that's why. Since the AKC requires dogs to be intact for showing and activities such as field trails. Do removal of dewclaws null and void their AKC designation like neutering?
Nope it shouldn't affect them in the show ring. My beagle was from a registered breeder who shows and she removes all her puppys' dew claws when they are a few days old. Some breeders do it themselves too.

Some breeders do, some don't, my husky's breeders didn't remove his dew claws and they showed all their dogs.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts