Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering if any of you have seen a beagle that has 2 different colored eyes? I am concerned this little one may have some type of problem that may lead to blindness or something.

I am trying to help the litter owners find homes for their little ones and I am concerned this one should not be sold without more knowledge.

If any of you have experience with this and can tell me if it is anything to be concerned about, I'd appreciate it.

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
I would call a vet, they should be able to answer that for you.

I told Béla too bad we're not closer...I'd take him in a heartbeat, problem or no!

·
Registered
324 Posts
Never seen two diffrent colored but is it possible that this pup does not have pure beagle blood line ? Reason I asked is only time I have every seen a blue eye like this is is mixed breed known as Catahoula(hunting dog)found mostly in Arkansas or Louisiana.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Littledude...he is AKC papered with 4 generations of tri-colored beagles in his line on both sides, but I guess there is always a possibility someone wasn't completely honest in their representation. The AKC just has to believe what people tell them as they cannot test every litter for accuracy.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I want to say that someone who used to post here had a Beagle with two different colored eyes. I'll try to remember who it was.......

The little guy is adorable though! I hope that he's OK and doesn't have any health problems.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
I don't have any experience in dogs but I have a good friend who has one blue and one brown eye (for those of you who watch ESPN's Cold Pizza or who get Tampa television it's the cold pizza host and former ABC 28 sports guy Jay Crawford). He says it is nothing more than genetics. I'm guessing it would probably be the same in pups.

G

·
0 Posts
Awww how beautiful. Seen a pup with eyes like that before but I don't know or have any information on it.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by beagletails:
Littledude...he is AKC papered with 4 generations of tri-colored beagles in his line on both sides, but I guess there is always a possibility someone wasn't completely honest in their representation. The AKC just has to believe what people tell them as they cannot test every litter for accuracy.
Except for that blue eye he definitely appears to be full beagle ! But usually this would be some sort of something in genes but you know how mother nature can sometime throw use a curve ball . I guess it would be best to check with vet but the little guy looks good & healthy.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by beagletails:
I am wondering if any of you have seen a beagle that has 2 different colored eyes? I am concerned this little one may have some type of problem that may lead to blindness or something.

I am trying to help the litter owners find homes for their little ones and I am concerned this one should not be sold without more knowledge.

If any of you have experience with this and can tell me if it is anything to be concerned about, I'd appreciate it.
I was a bit curious about this and did some research on the subject. This is a very common thing in some breeds of dogs.
Quote:Well, this is probably WAY more than you wanted to know. Since there are some strains of dogs in which two different colored eyes is common, there may be a more conventional genetic explanation that we just don’t know about right now. Hopefully, some scientist somewhere will study these dogs, find the appropriate gene(s), and see if humans can get two different colored eyes the same way.

·
Registered
40 Posts
This color of this pup's eyes are related to the iris ... so what I'm about to say does not apply.

I recently read a report that noted if in a flash photo one sees different colors in the pupils ... say red (red eye) in one and green in the other ... it may well be an indication of a serious eye problem which should be checked.

Again this does not apply to this pup ... and I relate this information only in hope that it might help someone recognize a problem early on.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I've seen a couple of dogs before with two different coloured eyes - not beagles, though. Hope all is well with this little guy - he sure is cute!

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
A lot of different dogs have one blue eye and one brown eye. I saw a beagle crossed with an Aussie shepherd that had eyes like that. I think they're beautiful. Our dog Pokey had eyes like that, she didn't have any vision problems. I think only labs have potential vision problems with lighter-colored eyes. Who knows what it is?

At any rate, blue eyes don't usually affect vision. (from what I've heard and seen) I mean, look at all those blue-eyed Huskies out there. I wouldn't worry about it. Besides, you have one unique pup there! If I had the money, I'd take him. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
A friend of ours had a dalmation with two different coloured eyes. She lived a long life and was healthy. Hope this little chap is also healthy and hope he gets a good home. Obviously one cant see in the photo if his sight is good? Please update us on what happens.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Eye color has very complicated genetics that I cant begin to explain. I would talk to the vet. I have seen beagle puppies with blue eyes, and they always tend to turn brown....Ive seen like one other with different eye colors, but I think it was mixed. I dont think I would worry but I would definately talk to the vet

Good luck...and he is precious

Amanda

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have met people with this condition (heterochromia) and they suffered no vision problems, and were undoubtedly 100% Human. As long as there are no other outward signs of a problem, such as albinism (lack of pigment over part or all of the body), this is likely to be merely a quirk of genetics and not affect any other part of the dog. Having the vet check him over for vision and hearing is about the only measure you can take to see if this is just cosmetic or indicative of a problem.

Quote: Irises of different colors are common in many dog breeds, including Siberian Huskies, Great Danes, and Dalmatians. Vision is completely normal and heterochromia is not considered a medical problem, but rather a normal variation in eye color.
taken from http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/6321/77293

G

·
0 Posts
He looks lovely no matter what his eye color looks like, HECK I think it gives him more character:)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts