Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dont know if anyone has had this problem before but whenever I place Coco in the car, the minute he steps in, he begins to drool. Usually when i take him to Petco or to the vet (which is only about 8 miles away) he drools like crazy. Vet said it might be that he gets car sick however he gets like that even before we drive away. I feel bad because I can't take him anywhere without having a mini pool in my car
Anyone had an experience like this? Recommendations?

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Welcome to the club of Hypersalivation. When Kali gets anxious, she drools... ALOT! Car rides are especially bad. We are talking drool-cicles and large puddles. Hopefully she grows out of it.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Tucker does the same thing. He loves going places because, but he hates the ride. We try to ignore him so it doesn't make it worse, but it doesn't stop the whinning and drooling. We have tried calming pills, it helps a little. He does seem to be a better the older he gets and the more used to the car he is. We take hime someplace at least 3 times a week, even more since we are trying to sell the house. He is worse in the truck than the car so it might have something to do with how smooth the ride is. In the meantime, we always have towels in the car. One to cover the seat to keep the hair off, one to clean wet and dirty paws when we get in the car after a walk, and one for him to drool on.

I guess this doesn't really help, but you aren't alone.

·
Registered
847 Posts
With a topic like this how could I not check it out. We have a dog separator in our SUV with a heavy duty rubber mat covering the floor. So he can get in wet with dirty paws and it's easy to hose off. The only thing that really needs my attention on a regular basis is cleaning the windows from all the licking and breathing on them.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you Joe Beagles for the invitation to the Hypersalivation Club. lol.

Calming pills? Is that something that the Vet could give me? I am assuming yes. I try to roll down the window, since he likes sticking his head out, but then I get dried up drooling on the side of my SUV...and it's more noticable since it's black.

It's a sturggle to get him to go anywhere and I usually have someone with me to help. I don't think he will grow out of it. It seems more like he growing into as he is getting older

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I have been able to avoid this particular club and hope it stays that way. Lately Maggie has been shivering in the car due to anxiety but no drooling. Starting today, I am taking Maggie to the vet every day for at least three weeks for an injection of Baytril -- I expect she is going to dread going into the car after she realizes what the routine is!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Monty loves car rides, but he drools as well. he has no problem getting in the car, andit doesn't seem like he's uncomfortable. He even gets excited when we say car ride. But, same thing, my car is covered in drool!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Charlie hated car rides in the beginning. Now he is ok with them. he never drooled, but whimpered and was all over the place. He still is a wanderer, but lays down after 10 minutes or so and naps.

Josie was always fine in the car. She has gotten car sick 2 or 3 times. That seems to have stopped. She will drool sometimes, but not often. Usually she climbs under her blanket and sleeps the whole way.

They get the entire back area of a supercrew pickup. I fold the seats up and put their bed and blanket in there. I also have heavy duty weathertech floor liners that hose off quick.

·
Registered
890 Posts
You can pick up calming pills at Petsmart and Petco. They can be used for seperation anxiety also.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I'm afraid this isn't very encouraging, but Li'l Girl still drools excessively in the car, and she's probably 10 years old. Guess we're members of the hypersalivation club, too.
I keep paper towels in the car to wipe my arm, her face, and the car seats. At least, she doesn't vomit anymore.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
dang, i wish shorter car rides for Coco along with some calming pills to help him...hopefully

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Spock drools out of anxiety, but happily for me and my cloth upholstery seats, he doesn't do it in the car. He seems to have only recently developed it after an excessively long encounter with yappy puppies. Sometimes I wish I could turn back the clock to situations I think caused some of Spock's anxiety. Sigh.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I'd suggest short car rides here and there, just to get them use to it. Ours sleep 90% of the time in a car ride that lasts 3+ hours at times. We do stop at a midway point for a potty break.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Bazel doesn't drool but he is a lunatic in the car running from one end to the other barking at everything until he exhausts himself . I hate taking him in the car.
Good luck I hope the suggestions here help you.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Squeegee is also in the hypersalivation club. The poor thing used to like the car but one day the window was down a little too far and he jumped out while we were moving
We were going about 30mph and he got scrapes all over. Needless to say, he has had anxiety about car rides ever since. I try to give him treats in the car but he refuses them. He drools, shakes and keeps his tail firmly tucked under. It has been probably 4 months since his accident and he does seem to be making progress. He's also been going to the vet a lot less as he gets older and, therefore, takes more trips to fun places. He goes to the dog park, other peoples houses and to get fast food where the guy at the window sometimes gives him a chicken nugget
We always keep a window down for him (only a little bit now, not enough to jump out of!) so he can stick his nose out and put him in the back since he seems to do better back there and also doesn't drool all over us!! We also keep a towel in the car for wipe downs.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Sadie does it when she's stressed. She grew up riding in cars and boats. No problem there. It happens at the dog park in the off-leash area. She's great with one or two other dogs, but more than that and she leaves a slime trail like a snail. (We usually take walks on the trails and avoid the crowd.)

·
Registered
225 Posts
We are also members of the hypersalivation club. We are improving though, we used to be members of the car sickness club and sadly we are now thrilled!! Blue has done this since the second week at our house and we attribute it to a bad vet visit. We have tried every trick ever recommended and have yet to find a solution. We have good days and bad. We find that if we keep him entertained, and yes I mean snacking, the drool is less because he isn't thinking about where he is or where we are going.

We bought a cover that covers the bench seat up to the front seats of the car. It is made of canvas so it is easily cleaned.

Good luck with the car rides!!

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Our two are great in the car. However, Snoopy floods the house with slimy saliva when he knows I am preparing their food. I suppose thats where the saying mouth-watering comes from.

·
Registered
48 Posts
We put Molly in her travel crate on the back seat and she either happily watches out of the window or more often than not settles down for a snooze.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts