Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I volunteer at the SPCA and I overheard the discussion of a bald spot and I asked about Doodles's loss of hair. Took her to the vet and it turned out she has demodectic mange from her mother.
The mitaban dips caused her to diarrhea but no vomiting. Her appetite is also reduced. It seems that her symptoms only last for about 3 days after the treatment. anyone have any experience with this?

her most current picture...

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Maggie had one tiny spot at about 10 weeks. The vet opted to wait and watch and eventually her immune system became stronger and it cleared up without treatment.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
As Eleanor said, I do, unfortunately, have experience with demodectic mange but my Maggie's situation is very different than Doodle's. Maggie has Cushings Disease and thus her immune system is suppressed, allowing for the generalized demodectic mange. She cannot tolerate the mitaban dips and has had a toxic reaction to ivermectin. I give her a weekly medicated bath. She has some lesions on her torso now but they have not spread. We may consider the daily interceptor mentioned in the link below if she has another major outbreak. Here is a link that describes the different types of demodectic mange and treatment options: http://www.marvistavet.com/html/demodectic_mange.html .

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for everyone for the input... I'm sorry to hear that about judy
It's a terrible and sad thing when something that brings us so much joy get sick or falls ill to some kind of disease...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.