Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, when I picked Chloe up from the sitter we talked a little bit and my main concern was how she did with another dog in the house. The sitter also had a fairly small lab mix girl (very sweet). She said they were getting along amazing and that Chloe was very much relaxed around Smokey (the lab mix). Apparently when they were left alone when the sitter went out to run some errands Chloe never once peed or retaliated as she sometimes does to me, and there was once when she came home and both dogs were sleeping together on her bed and didn't even come to the door.

Now, what I'm thinking is getting another pup. I've been wanting to do that for a long time, and this has only made me more adamant about it. The problem is that I don't want to have 2 beagles in a studio (which I live in now) and I'm afraid that if something happens I won't have the money to take care of them (the yearly shots/treatment I can deal with).

What to do? Now that I know Chloe will do much much better with a sister, I really want to get another one.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
If you decide you can handle it financially, why not talk with the folks at the shelter? Most good shelters will help you match a second dog's personality to your dog's personality. Then go to the shelter and pick the pup that you fall in love with out of the ones they recommend? Of course, you run the risk of wanting to take them all home!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can't deal with going to a shelter... but maybe a rescue group.
When I decide on taking another one that will definitely be an option.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I have 3 dogs, a cat and a bird, so I am not unbiased in my opinion. I say go for it!

Seriously, having Violet has made a big difference in Duke. He always had doggie siblings, but since the labs were so much older, they never wanted to play with him. Now he and Violet play all the time and it wears them both out and keeps them out of trouble when we're gone.

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
Well, I'd say go for it. Daisy got soooo much better once Max was here. She isn't as freaked out if I simply go to another room anymore now that he is here. You could always look into pet insurance or start up a fund where each week a set amount goes into it for emergencies.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We thought Murphy was happy as an only pup. Summer made him happier. They were always to gether. After Murphy passed, Summer was the only pup. She seemed happy too. Now with Kali, they are both happy. Kali is her constant companion and playmate.

The financial side, only you can answer. But Chloe might enjoy some company. I will say, adding another dog, things will be different.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Seeing how Susi and Snoopy get on I would say a second dog is a good idea.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've often considered the same thing El. So many people tell me that a second dog will help Jersey with her separation anxiety. If you can afford it, try it. Maybe you can go through a rescue as a foster to begin with and then if things work out, adopt. That way, if for some reason things don't work out you aren't committed to the dog and won't feel bad if things don't go as planned. This is what I've considered doing with Jersey.

·
Registered
421 Posts
i just got another beagle puppy for nearly the same reason. lucked up and found her on craig's list free to good home.
sophie loves her to death. there are a few issues because this dog hasn't been trained the same as sophie, but we are working on them. it has been a good experience so far. one thing is, i don't know if all beagles are like this, but ours wrestle (playfully) non-stop. they wrestle, eat, sleep, and poop. they could mostly care less about humans while in the house.

·
Registered
18 Posts
having gone through a fiancial crisis and also having got a second Beagle who had infinite health problems I tell you to go for it. you know what...the vet we had was very good about being reasonable to the charges (we got quite a few free visits) and we did find the extra money when we needed it. also want to point out that some rescue agencies will help fund an adoption. also that although we all love Beagles all dogs are precious.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I say if you can afford it, go for it!! We have two beags of our own and for the first 6-8 months we were in an apartment and they did just fine.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Eleanor, Sorry, but I'm a bit biased also! lol... Jake's medical is taken care of through the rescue, but I have been very fortunate with the other three. The minor medical issues I've had have been taken care of by searching on the web or a phone call to the vet. In five years I've had only one emergency room visit to express Ginger's anal glands (she was in pain because they were not expressing themselves), and that only cost $100.00.

As for having two beagles in a studio: Contact a local rescue and let them know what your intentions are. Once you find a dog that fits, ask the rescue if you could take the dog home for a sleepover. That way you have a risk-free way to see if you would be ok living with two dogs.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I second the fostering, taking a dog for a test drive idea. It sounds like you really want another dog and are trying to justify to yourself bringing her home with you. Only you can determine what's best for you, but I think it would be fine, and I think the improvement in quality of life for all three of you would make getting a new dog worthwhile.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I can say that bringing Lilo home was the best decision I've made for Java and for myself. Not only is she so lovable, but I can tell Java loves her dearly too (as evident by his licking of her ears when they're hanging out together). Yes, the vet bills are doubled, but the every-day costs are not that much more significant (to me). They make my day, and I love being greeted by 2 beagles running around the house.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think I'm going to keep on thinking about it at least until the summer. I can't afford it now and I want to be prepared. I also need to think whether I want an adult or a puppy. I strongly believe that a rescue is noble and important and I would love to save a Beagle, but I don't know if I can handle the baggage they come with. I love the fact that a puppy can be molded into the dog you want (to some extent of course!) behavior wise.

I think I'm confusing myself, I'll sleep on it a few more months.

Thanks all!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts