Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in quite the dilemma with Bailey Beagle.
We got Bailey in May, and at the time my 18 year old daughter was living here and going to college. She did not have classes until 4 pm each day, so someone was home with Bailey most of the time. He would only be crated for a few hours between the time she left for school, and when I get home around 5:30 - 6:00 pm. He is still crated at night, because he is a chewing machine.
Well, my daughter moved out last night - (long story, but as most 18 year olds believe at one time or another , she is grown up now
Just wait till she has to pay her own bills) So now, I don't know what to do - Bailey would have to be crated for a MINIMUM of 8 hours a day!! AND I would have to crate him again at night. ...that is just not fair and I won't do that to him. He is a love - he's smart, and affectionate and is totally housebroken now.
There is a doggie day care place nearby, but I checked and it is $20 a day. I really can't afford that!

I know there are other members of this board that live in the Central Fl area...is anyone looking to add to their pack? He is 8 months old now, neutered, and just a great dog. It breaks my heart but I don't know what else to do. I won't give him to anyone except a beagle owner that understands and loves the breed the way I do.
Thanks for any input you can give me,
Cindi

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
What about baby gates? Confining him to the kitchen or somewhere a little bigger than a crate, but not too big that he can make a mess? Also, do you have a neighbor or someone that can stop by mid-day for 15-20 min. to walk him?

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Cindi - having raised a daughter AND a granddaughter, you might be surprised at how quickly she'll come home when she finds out that living on her own isn't all that great! Eleanor has good advice. Do you have a room that is fairly puppy proof where he could have a little more freedom? 3 of mine are crated at night and during the day when I'm at work, and they do just fine. They get to get tired out when I'm home, and they don't really seem to mind being in their little houses when I'm gone. I feed them in their crates, so they go in willingly. Even the ones that aren't crated at all, will often go into an empty crate for naps. As long as Bailey gets some good one on one time with you, I'll bet he'd do well. However, IF you don't want him confined that much (and if you can't trust him un-crated), you might try a beagle rescue. I know the rescue in Seattle has been placing beagles very quickly. Here are a few Florida rescue links for you. They might be able to help.

Good luck!

http://www.floridabeagles.com/index.php

http://www.tampabaybeaglerescue.org/

http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Park/7881/

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both for the good advice.
I can't gate off the kitchen because Bailey has already chewed the bottom of the kitchen cabinets - EVEN with the Bitter Spray on it. I'm afraid to think about what he could do in there while we were gone. Maybe I could gate off the master bathroom...
He has so much energy, I just feel horrible about crating him so much,but I guess it's all in what they are used to.
I have a neighbor who might be willing to come walk him for me. Good suggestion; I will ask her tomorrow.
Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
Daisy is crated during the day while we are at work. When she was younger my mother in law would come over and let her out about halfway through the day. She hasn't done that in at least 3 months now and Daisy is fine. She willingly goes into her crate in the mornings (or at least my husband says she does). I leave first so he puts her in there around 7:30 and then I let her out when I get home. She does fine and is in there around 8 hours. She isn't crated at night anymore, but she was for a long time because she would pee in her sleep. She's outgrown that now. I think Bailey might handle it better than you think, just make sure to give him lots of attention when he is out.

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
How about just a few days a week at doggie day care? We used to take ours to doggie day care twice a week when they were little to let them get rid of energy and play. Have you tried leaving him out of his crate small amounts of time? We tried letting ours out of their pen short periods of time. Also, could he sleep with you in the bed? That would give you both time to be together and snuggle.

·
Registered
582 Posts
While animal rescue organizations provide a wonderful service, (Our Sparky came from Tampa Bay Beagle Rescue, as did some of the other dogs on the board.) they aren't a quick fix, or an easy out. They're first concern is animals that have run out of other chances and are more than likely headed for euthanasia. They seldom have room for dogs in... less dire situations.

I agree with all of the above. My two beagles handle a full work day alone in their crates with no problem. It isn't 5 days a week because our work schedules are different, but it is sometimes 3 days a week. Even when one of us is home, they spend most of the day in their crates with the door open by choice, because it's their routine.
Breaking it up with even one mid-week day at day care, would make a big difference. (And the socilization is a good thing.)
If you do leave him outside during the day, inside a fence or run, please make sure he has plenty of water, and can't dig or climb out and escape.

Yes, Bailey is young and full of energy, and it may be hard at first, but this is a good time to start establishing a routine that will work best for the whole family for the rest of his life.

Another suggestion... Before switching to Beagles, we had several Greyhound rescues. We ended up keeping an extra-large wire crate. Our Sadie has free run of the house when we're gone, but we can't trust Sparky to stay out of trouble. (Maybe some day.) We put Sparky's Beagle-size plastic crate inside the much larger, wire one. It gives him a nice cozy bed with a front porch where he can stretch and move around a little. Might be the ticket for Bailey. And… If he just can't hold it, ( He’ll do better when he’s older.) he would probably go outside of the sleeping crate. Easy to clean up, and he wouldn't be soiling his bedding. (Put down a towel or two.)

Good luck, and don‘t give up!

·
Registered
837 Posts
I personally would not crate a dog for eight hours a day. Leave them in a run - yep. But I don't think its natural for a dog to go without water for 8 hours or to have water and not toilet for 8 hours. However I am lucky that I live in a country where we can leave the dogs in the yard, with lots of toys and mental stimulation, shelter etc and not have to worry about the elements as we don't have extreme weather here.

Surely there must be another solution for the OP other than crating for eight hours every day. Could you put a play pen in your house instead?

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
While I don't work 8 hours a day, I am out of the house for at least 6 hours 5 days a week. The ones that are crated, are well able to hold it (they sleep in a crate at night with no problems), and there are water bottles you can attach to the crates - or you can do what I do - leave a bowl of ice cubes. I let them outside just before I leave for work. I don't LIKE crating them that long, but they certainly don't seem to have suffered any ill effects from it. He will eventually be old enough to stay free without destroying the house - but for now, crating is an option. The Playpen is a good idea - IF you have room and can afford it - AND have a beagle that doesn't climb out. A larger crate is also a good idea, there again, IF you have room, and can afford it. I've tried playpens with my pups - and haven't had one over 8 weeks old who couldn't climb out. Most can also climb over baby gates at a very young age, too. The extra tall gates sold by Foster & Smith are a good idea, but they're quite pricey. Not everyone is fortunate enough to have a securely fenced yard where the beagles can be left out. I DO have a securely fenced yard, but I also have neighbors that do NOT like to hear beagles barking, so I can't leave mine outside when I'm not home.
I hope you come up with a solution that works for you so you can keep Bailey.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Originally Posted By: GlendaWhile I don't work 8 hours a day, I am out of the house for at least 6 hours 5 days a week. The ones that are crated, are well able to hold it (they sleep in a crate at night with no problems), and there are water bottles you can attach to the crates - or you can do what I do - leave a bowl of ice cubes. I let them outside just before I leave for work. I don't LIKE crating them that long, but they certainly don't seem to have suffered any ill effects from it. He will eventually be old enough to stay free without destroying the house - but for now, crating is an option. The Playpen is a good idea - IF you have room and can afford it - AND have a beagle that doesn't climb out. A larger crate is also a good idea, there again, IF you have room, and can afford it. I've tried playpens with my pups - and haven't had one over 8 weeks old who couldn't climb out. Most can also climb over baby gates at a very young age, too. The extra tall gates sold by Foster & Smith are a good idea, but they're quite pricey. Not everyone is fortunate enough to have a securely fenced yard where the beagles can be left out. I DO have a securely fenced yard, but I also have neighbors that do NOT like to hear beagles barking, so I can't leave mine outside when I'm not home.
I hope you come up with a solution that works for you so you can keep Bailey.
I get where you are coming from Glenda, and I know crating is very popular in the US. Maybe I'm adverse to the idea of crating a dog all day because its just not done here, so its not an idea I am used to.

My advice about building a run or having a fenced off area in the house/ play pen were more long term solutions (obviously the OP is going to need them!).

It's not fortune that we have a securely fenced yard - I had my husky before I had my beagle and there was no way that we could own either breed without having a well fenced yard (the husky in particular). We worked hard to put in our fencing, nothing to do with luck, LOL!

·
Registered
295 Posts
This might sound insane, but could you get another dog? I'm talking about an adult, at least 3 years old, who is already housebroken. Bailey would hugely benefit from a buddy to use up all of that energy. A tired beagle is a good beagle. I have Daisy, a 2 or 3 year old rescue beagle, and Maggie, a 14.5 year old collie/shepherd mix. Maggie and Daisy play, but Maggie can't really keep up with Daisy, so whenever my neighbor's yorkie is out, I pick her up over the fence and they play like mad. Daisy is so much less needy on the days the yorkie comes over.

I know the thought of TWO dogs might sound like twice the problems and work, but it really doesn't happen that way. If you go this route, try to get a dog from a place that will let you do a 'test drive' to ensure they get along on Bailey's home turf. I know this is a beagle board, but in light of the beagle personality, which tends to include chewing and howling, I think a smaller lab mix or a golden mix would be great with a beagle.

If that idea is completely out, Bailey would also benefit from Beagle TV. Put her crate on a table in front of a window. This helped Daisy a LOT when I still crated her. If you do this, put a grippy backed rug on the table so the crate won't slide off for any reason.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Originally Posted By: DaisyTheDevilDog I know this is a beagle board, but in light of the beagle personality, which tends to include chewing and howling, I think a smaller lab mix or a golden mix would be great with a beagle.
An older dog from a rescue organisation would fit the bill, or an ex-show or breeding dog from a reputable breeder as they are often old enough to have gone through the naughty puppy stage and have had a bit of training too.

However I would never recommend a mix without seeing the individual dog (and would only ever buy one from a rescue group) - when you crossbreed you have no idea which traits the dog will take on. Labs and goldies are also both known as a 'mouthy' breeds due to their instincts (retrieving dogs) so you could still end up with a dog that likes to chew.

For the OP - how much exercise does Bailey get? Being an active breed maybe increasing his daily exercise will help, as well as giving him lots of mental stimulation during the day i.e. stuffed kong, a big bone, toys etc.

·
Registered
667 Posts
I have a friend that did the small crate in a gate idea...I love the setup, and great idea!!

Also, have you thought of hiring a dog walker to come in at noon to walk him for 30mins or so? It is VERY popular here in Cali!!

Im sure as he gets older, you will be able to leave him out. We stopped crating Snoopy during the day at about 2 yrs old (6mo after we got him) But Marbles at only 11 months old. We started out leaving him out for 30 mins, then an hour, and slowly worked up, now he is Never crated, not even at night. I wonder if it is b/c Snoopy just sleeps while we are gone, that Marbles picked up the habit? Maybe an older dog would be a consideration?

Good luck

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Well....

Before I got married, I lived alone and worked 12 hour shifts as an RN, which meant that I was gone for 13 hours.

I had my two rescue dogs, Olivia and Jake, both about 25 pounds. At the time I purchased the house that I was in, my fiance' had moved out of the city so he was no longer around during the day to watch over them.

I had a small yard but Jake was a digger and when he dug out, Olivia would follow.

My only solution was to crate them each in the biggest crates that I could find while I worked. I hated it...they hated it. But it's what we had to do until we moved and that was for about three years.

I lived for my dogs...always came straight home and stayed home with them when I was off as often as I could...they slept with me at night.

Eventually all changed...I got married and we moved to Virginia. But it was some hard times...we got through them...the thought of rehoming them never crossed my mind! We were a little family.

Rehoming Bailey because your daughter moved out seems extreme. Take a deep breath and take it slow. Bailey loves you, you love her...crating her for now until she matures or your situation changes or you come across another alternative will not kill her! Crating her until something changes is not the kiss of death and it will allow you to stay together.

Please hang in there...and if you have to crate her for now, do it.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I have to agree with Denise. I hate having them crated during the day, but honestly, they don't seem to mind, as long as they get their play time with me, they're fine with being in their little houses when I'm gone. Bailey will eventually mature enough so he won't NEED to be crated when you're gone - until that time though, it is an option.
Smeagle, I understand where you're coming from, too. I HATED the thought of crating, but it is the only thing that has saved my sanity (and my house) - you have no idea of the things I came home to before I started crating the youngsters. I can't leave them outside when I'm gone - they disturb the neighbors, they have also been known to dig under the fence. I love my dogs and would not do anything that would deliberately hurt them - and I don't think that crating until they're old enough to be left free hurts them. Many trainers recommend crating - so does my vet. It is very common here in the states. As long as they can get their play time and time with mom they're fine.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
HI everyone,

First of all, thanks so much for all your wonderful suggestions. I appreciate you taking the time to help me with a solution. I did talk to a neighbor who is retired, and she loves Bailey and said she could come over at noon each day to walk and play with him. That will help SO much! I also love the Bailey TV idea of putting his crate up where he can see outside the window. I would love to get another dog to keep Bailey company, but my husband wasnt too happy that I got Bailey, so I dont think he would go for that idea. We will get thru this, one day at a time.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Up until 2007 I worked here in town, just a couple of minutes from home, so I was able to come home at noon and let them out for an hour. I really felt guilty when I had to work out of town - and my work isn't really steady - I'm a caregiver - sometimes I just have one client - and work 3 1/2 hours a day - now I have 2 and work 5 hours, but with the commute both ways, it's about 6 hours that I'm away. They have done very well.
If hubby isn't thrilled about Bailey - perhaps he could take him for obedience classes (if he hasn't already gone) - it would be good for both of them and give them some bonding time.
I'm so glad you found a neighbor to help out - if she's alone, it will be good for HER, too! A win-win situation!

·
Registered
295 Posts
Yippee for you and Bailey!

I have a retired neighbor that lets my dogs out too! He's a Godsend! Before I got Daisy, he would walk my dogs too, but Daisy is kind of a PIA to walk, so I don't ask him to do that. Just letting them out in the yard and playing is plenty. He won't let me pay him, so instead I cook dinner for him and his wife a few times a month.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I like the idea of maybe just a few days at doggie day care. This way he isn't crated every day all week and you don't have to spend the $20 every single day.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts