Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just in the past week or so Diesel has started to get more violent, for lack of a better word. He is growling and barking a lot more. but it is not a normal growl like he used to do when we played, its a mean growl.. and this morning when i get ready he usually sits out side my bathroom door and chews on his toys but instead out of no where he came in and bit my foot. I had not done anything different or moved quickly or anything he just bit me. At first it only happened every once in a while but now it happens alot. does anyone have any advice on how to stop him???

·
Registered
226 Posts
How does Diesel react when you pick him up? Can you touch him all over without any negative response from him?

I know that he's a young pup, but even so... If the behavior you're describing is completely different than how he's acted up until now, have your vet take a look at him. Something physical could be bothering him and he may be in pain.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can pick him up just fine. He does not like being touched when he is playing with a toy. But when he eats i can touch him and it does not bother him...

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
And if it's not a physical condition, he is developing a dominant behavior. This is something you don't want, or he will rule you!
You need to let him know who the boss is. If he does something you don't approve of, clap you hands as loud as you can and firmly say NO! when he stops: "good boy".
You can also adopt the spray bottle method. You fill a bottle with water, and spray his face (general direction) whenever he bites, or growls (mean growl) and add the firm NO!
I had a couple of bottle laying around the apartment, especially for dinner time (Chloe likes sitting on me when I eat and trying to take the food off of my hand) for me to have in reach. You can also use the breathe mint sprays... they don't like that one even more.. :biglaugh:

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:Originally posted by Chloe's Mommy:
And if it's not a physical condition, he is developing a dominant behavior. This is something you don't want, or he will rule you!
You need to let him know who the boss is. If he does something you don't approve of, clap you hands as loud as you can and firmly say NO! when he stops: "good boy".
You can also adopt the spray bottle method. You fill a bottle with water, and spray his face (general direction) whenever he bites, or growls (mean growl) and add the firm NO!
I had a couple of bottle laying around the apartment, especially for dinner time (Chloe likes sitting on me when I eat and trying to take the food off of my hand) for me to have in reach. You can also use the breathe mint sprays... they don't like that one even more.. :biglaugh:
I dont have a spray bottle. but i do have a can full of coins. when ever he does something i dotn want i either shake it to catch his attention and tell him no or if he is not with in reach i throw it near him so it makes loud noises and then tell him now... does this work cause i have told it does not

·
Registered
324 Posts
The can ,with coins in it,as long as it makes a loud noise should do the trick. I have read on here quite a few who use this method and it seems to be ok. If it works for your puppy by all means use it ! :thumbup:

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by dieselbabe101:
Quote:Originally posted by Chloe's Mommy:
I dont have a spray bottle. but i do have a can full of coins. when ever he does something i dotn want i either shake it to catch his attention and tell him no or if he is not with in reach i throw it near him so it makes loud noises and then tell him now... does this work cause i have told it does not
It could work. It all depends on how Diesel reacts to it. If you want to try the spray bottle, you can find those in the $1 stores... and you can also try the fresh breathe spray...

If the coin can works - stick to it!

·
Registered
751 Posts
bitter apple is working for me now when he does something I don't want to do.

He knows the taste very well, so when he jumps on the couch or something I go towards the bottle and he gets down. He's learning.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Just in the past week or so Diesel has started to get more violent, for lack of a better word. He is growling and barking a lot more. but it is not a normal growl like he used to do when we played, its a mean growl.. and this morning when i get ready he usually sits out side my bathroom door and chews on his toys but instead out of no where he came in and bit my foot. I had not done anything different or moved quickly or anything he just bit me. At first it only happened every once in a while but now it happens alot. does anyone have any advice on how to stop him???
Ok - just to be clear.

Did the behaviour develop only in the last week, or has he been doing it "once in a while" and now the behaviour has climaxed (worsened?)

What sort of training and routine do you have with Diesel? What do you do with him to set you up as the alpha of the pack? Do you make him sit or stay for his dinner? Can you take his toys away without him growling or becoming possessive?

Remember - YOU are the alpha of the pack and if that is how Diesel sees you, he would respect you and not challenge you or try to fight you for leadership.

Every time you let him get away with any dominant behaviour it is like you are letting him win. Every time you let him win, you are letting him think he can get away with his bad behaviour.

I would have a read of these articles and formulate a strict routine in your house.

Nothing in life is free:
http://www.k9force.net/index.html?row2col2=nilif.html

Don't think of this as getting the dog to do a command every time he wants something, but rather teaching the dog that he must work to get what he wants.

Triangle of temptation:
http://www.k9force.net/index.html?row2col2=tot.html

This is a feeding program but also a leadership program and will take no more than five extra minutes each time you feed Diesel.

Things like spray bottles etc may work to teach a dog that a behaviour is negative but it will not cure the problem of the dog being dominant - it doesn't sound very exciting but the solution is having a solid routine in your pack which you get through training your dog everyday.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hey thanks for the site...
and it is with my mom too... our routine has changed a bit becuase my mom is home all the time now and i dunno what she does while im at work but i try to tell her to do these things and she just tells me the dog has to many "rules"
so i dunno... but i will try everything suggested... thanks

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
hey thanks for the site...
and it is with my mom too... our routine has changed a bit becuase my mom is home all the time now and i dunno what she does while im at work but i try to tell her to do these things and she just tells me the dog has to many "rules"
so i dunno... but i will try everything suggested... thanks
Beagles are very stubborn and independent. This is why persistence is highly important with their education and training. Try explaining to your mother the importance of those rules, and you will both discover in time that most of the rules won't apply anymore since the pup will be well enough behaved... :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
You have gotten the best advise already. Won't hurt just to throw one in. Charlie's trainer advise us to scoop the kibbles with our own hands onto his bowl. The food has our scent in it, trust me they do scent it. It is a way to tell them where the food comes from "YOU".
Of course, the coins in soda can and squirt bottle too. The K-9 site is very good.
Good Luck!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts