Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone could explain this to me. Casey is now 8 months old, and is really challenging Hunter. She will push out the door first, If Hunter is being petted she tries to push in between. When Hunter walks she will try to heard her the way she wants her to go. Basically she is being a brat. Hunter usually will allow this until she gets frustrated and then will try to mount Casey. I am not sure if it is their way of figuring out who is "top dog" or what. I have been told to just let them work it out, but Casey can be such a jerk it is hard not to step in. Is Casey just a teen puppy or trying to be the leader?

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
It sounds like they're trying to establish the "top dog" status. Hunter's attempts to mount Casey are probably to show Casey who's boss. Our Misty did this to the other dogs until she convinced them that she was in charge. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
Yep, sounds like adolescence is beginning....and the girls will have to work it out.
In our household, Cal allows Maggie to be top dog (she's half his size and was about a year old when she became top dog); he's so laid back, he didn't even care when she bullied him....was quite comical...

My father raised dogs for years, and said the females almost always squabbled more. He usually had a female as alpha in his packs.

·
Registered
540 Posts
We had this problem when we brought Jewelie into the house at Christmas time. Buckley had been with us as an only dog for almost 5 years. They had 4 or 5 real knock down drag'em outs and a few snaps here and there, especially over food or toys. Jewelie was very "alpha" at meal times, barking at me to feed her and then, when she finished before Buckley, going over to his bowl and growling at him while he ate.

I changed this (and so far so good) by feeding him first and making her sit and wait while he got a head start. Her food is down where she can see it, but she has to wait for me to release her before she can eat. Very little barking at me any more, and no more squabbles at meal times. And overall, more peace. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

With her, we have had to be extremely firm - especially me. Hubby has no trouble establishing dominance over the dogs, but I'm a soft touch. She was really in my face, though - not aggressive or anything, just BOSSY. So we worked on training and the sit and wait commands at meal time made a huge difference overall. She is much more mindful of me, but also adores me and follows me everywhere. Life has settled into a lovely routine, and all is well.

Oh, and lest I make it sound easy, we have been working on this since Christmas and it is still a bit of a work in progress, but MUCH better than it was!!

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
Katie made a good point! My Maggie also challenges me daily, and I have to be consistent with obedience....if I give in even once, she enjoys reminding me of that one slip up by trying to boss me too.
She's cute, and I'm a sucker for her adorable personality, but I have to reign her in, or else she becomes obnoxious and demanding.
BTW Katie, my obedience instructor told us in class that dogs respect the alpha more than the owner who gives in all the time. Makes sense since they view the top dog as 'God'.

·
Registered
540 Posts
So true, Deb. I watched while hubby laid down the law, first with Buckley and then with Jewelie. It seemed harsh to me, as my instinct was to treat them like babies. But then I saw how they both followed him around like he was the be all and end all. I have taken a different approach since Jewelie joined us - less so with Buckley who listens to me fairly well, but definitely with the Jewel. I have to stay on top of her antics on a daily basis or I lose ground! And that is not to say that we don't have our snuggles and love and plays...but it's on my terms not hers. She can be very demanding and we have to be sure to show her that she does not decide when we will play with her or feed her.

I am honestly amazed at the difference in her. All the behaviours that gave DH pause in terms of adopting her are minimal now - she has become much more obedient. It doesn't hurt that she is THE MOST food motivated dog I have ever met, Buckley included!!! I will have to post video of her salivating (and I mean a river of drool) as I make her wait for her dinner!!!

·
Registered
991 Posts
Austin does not drool so much as his teeth chatter (like the old fashion wind-up toy dentures) while he is waiting for food. I am almost afraid that they get going so bad that the is going to break a tooth.! :rotatesmiley2:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts