Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From the BBC: Page last updated at 08:10 GMT, Monday, 8 December 2008
Canines 'can display emotions'
Dogs are sensitive and can display emotions like jealousy, empathy and embarrassment, a study from the University of Vienna says. Dr Paul Morris, of the psychology department at the University of Portsmouth, discusses whether it is a conclusion that dog lovers already know.
Heard the above on the BBC radio this morning, thought you might be interested. We have always believed that our beagles share similar emotions to us.

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
All of the dogs that I have ever owned have shown emotion. I can tell when Daisy or Max feel upset or any range of emotion. I'm still dealing with Daisy's jealousy and it is very evident that she is jealous, LOL! Last night I had Max next to me in the chair and Daisy in my lap. She is typically not a lap dog, but she was so needy last night. It was all because Max was sitting next to me so I let her up too.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I know mine feel guilt. Tate hunkers down when he knows he has done something wrong.

·
Registered
38 Posts
And once again academia seeks to justify it's existance and budget by pointing out the glaringly obvious.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I am also not surprised - ours certainly feel happiness, guilt, fear, and many others I'm sure... Booker even gets annoyed with us and won't look at us if we do stop her from doing something she wants to do (like eat poop) - we call it doing a Booker.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Holy cow, tell us something we didn't know smart people.
Dogs have 75% of the human DNA in them. Thats why dogs are mans best friend.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
My first thought was well, duh!. I could have told you that. I hope that the University didn't spend too much money on that research.

Originally Posted By: rad's zooAnd once again academia seeks to justify it's existance and budget by pointing out the glaringly obvious.
Very well said.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I can always tell how Monty is feeling when I get home from work. If he got into something he shouldn't have, he sits on the couch, doesn't run to see me, and looks at me with those eyes while his head is hung low. If he's been good, he comes running and does a little dance while i take my jacket and shoes off.

I can't believe they even had to do a study on this. All they had to do was adopt a dog and they would have found out!!

·
Registered
837 Posts
I think the research is a load of c**p to be honest. I think it says more about how humans interpret their dogs behaviour than anything else.

Dogs are canines and are incapable of thinking and feeling the same way that we do. Dogs have a thought process completely different to our own. They are not people and they do not think and feel the same way that we think and feel.

What we think of jealously is largely competition for resources. Whether it is sorting out heirachy or not, it all comes down to what's in it for me with dogs.

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
Originally Posted By: SmeagleI think the research is a load of c**p to be honest. I think it says more about how humans interpret their dogs behaviour than anything else.

Dogs are canines and are incapable of thinking and feeling the same way that we do. Dogs have a thought process completely different to our own. They are not people and they do not think and feel the same way that we think and feel.

What we think of jealously is largely competition for resources. Whether it is sorting out heirachy or not, it all comes down to what's in it for me with dogs.
I disagree based on my experience with dogs. Sure, they probably don't feel the total gamut of emotions that we humans do but they're there.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Originally Posted By: DaisysMom

I disagree based on my experience with dogs. Sure, they probably don't feel the total gamut of emotions that we humans do but they're there.
I don't mean that dogs feel no emotions. I mean that dogs don't feel human emotions the way we do. A dog's thought process and instincts are wired completely differently to ours.

Do dogs feel jealously? Not IMO. Dogs are all about what's in it for them. When I get home from work, all three of my dogs run up to me wanting pats and attention. I ignore them initially, but the first one to sit down calmly is the first one to get a pat. It becomes a learned behaviour for them - sit down, be calm, and get attention. In the same way that dogs learn 'cues' like looking sad and whining/crying - their owner thinks 'oh no, Fido is sad! better give him a pat! and the dog learns the right 'cue' to get instant attention. The dog doesn't actually feel sad, its just manipulating the situation.

Do dogs feel embarrassment and shame? I have never seen a dog display these emotions - sure its fun to say oh look, Fido is so embarrassed! But in reality, I don't believe for a second a dog feels it for real. Its not in their nature, and its certainly not their instinct. Dogs don't feel embarrassment. They aren't people.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts