Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently, my niece and nephew -- 16 year old twins -- threw a party for their high school friends. My sister and brother-in-law, being careful parents, have always taken the time to get to know their children’s close friends as well as those friends’ parents … but this event included a wider circle than just close friends. That being so, the adults were on “party watch” to ensure that all went well and stayed within the law.

All was going well, until about 11:00 PM when the ranks began to swell with uninvited "guests" entering the backyard venue via a side gate. Apparently word of the party had gotten around town.

As the neighborhood is a quite one, no one had intended that thing go much beyond 11:00 … so my sister and brother-in-law began to shut things down. By 11:30 … everyone was gone except for family – which includes five pups in residence -- and one friend each of the niece and nephew.

As this was a special night for the kids, they were allowed to stay up late and watch television. All was quite when around 1:00 AM one of the dogs had a seizure. Then almost simultaneously two of the others had seizures. In short order all five pups were at an emergency animal clinic.

After getting the gist of the situation, the vet inquired, “I don’t mean to pry, but do you use illegal drugs?” When my sister answered no he asked about her children. My brother-in-law who is a medical professional answered no to that one. His next question, “Has anyone you don’t know been in your home?” They informed him of the party.

The veterinarian told my sister and brother-in-law that the dogs were likely given an illegal drug … possibly methamphetamine. He said that just the night before a dog suffering seizures had died. During an autopsy, he discovered traces of meth ... as well as the little zip-lock baggie which likely contained it. Given that pet owner’s reaction, the vet was fairly certain the dog had ingested it after getting into a purse where the drug was kept.

According to the vet, it is not uncommon for kids to give a animal illegal drugs … to see how it will react.

My sister’s dogs survived … but a lesson has been learned. Be careful who comes into your home and is allowed access to you pets (and young children for that matter).

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I'm shocked!!! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif Mostly that people, no matter the age, will give drugs to pets. If you are that stupid to consume it yourself, fine! but to a dog? :angryfire:

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
That is horrible - so glad your sister's dogs were okay. I'm not sure what it takes to make someone think it is okay to give drugs to an animal...

We had an experience a few years ago where Moosie got very sick after a trip with the dog walkers to a local beach. He threw up (luckily) and was woozy and when they rushed him to the vet his heart was racing and he clearly had ingested something - they thought most likely ectasy or speed... Kids party at the beach at night and clearly they left something behind - and Moosie being a typical beagle did what one would expect - he ate it. Luckily he threw up so that not too much entered his bloodstream... but enough that they kept him in overnight just to make sure he was going to be okay. Scary - and a warning to others to watch out at the beach for things that may have been left behind from partiers the night before.

·
Registered
807 Posts
We had a similar case at the hospital about a week ago. The dog had eaten a bag of marijuana. Poor little guy could hardly walk. Again, this was a case where the owners adamently claimed no one in the house used drugs....yet they had a teenage son who obviously pulled the wool over their eyes. Julie

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
How infuriating! :angryfire:

I wish your family could trace where the stuff came from. And make somebody sorry.

But it is something I've never thought of so a lesson learned for me.

I'm glad the pups were OK.

~Denise

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
This is just awful but doesn't surprise me. Some so called friends of mine (now ex friends) thought it funny to give my dogs alcohol in my absence :angryfire:

I don't trust anyone except my partner with my dogs welfare.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
That's terrible! How could anyone think that's funny? :angryfire: I'm glad the puppies are okay. Hopefully karma will come around and kick the butts of those losers who fed them drugs!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts