Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone! so i just got back from a week long vacation in mexico. i left snoopy with my dog trainer for that week. he said that she didn't listen to him for 2 days after i left... then was good. interesting haha. so i'm kinda wondering what dogs are like after you get back from vacation? it was her first time without me and i'm pretty sure she felt abandoned... when i picked her up she ran up to me, lowered her head and mournfully cried for about 10 minutes... when i got home just wanted to be rubber, loved, touched and hugged... she was sooooo overwhelmed with happiness it seemed. she has been sleeping since... and just seems EXHAUSTED!!! i notice that when i leave her even for a second, say to go to the bathroom.. that she freaks out! major separation issues ... normal?! what else can i expect?! thanks
what an exciting thing to look forward to coming home to though! she's soooo sweet

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I've heard said that a dog doesn't know the difference between 5 minutes and 5 days, but I don't believe that. I also believe that they feel stress and know when they have been left with someone other than their normal pack. (or rehomed) I believe they make a bond with us that lasts forever.

For instance we purchased an adult dog from someone a couple of years ago. This dog never quite fit in here at our home. She was okay, but just didn't seem real happy. The previous owners started coming around when we bred her and she delivered a litter of pups. When these people would turn onto our street Jas would start howling and carrying on and she had not even seen them pull in the drive or anything. She knew the sound of their pick up truck. She literally went berzerk (sp?) any time they came to the house. We decided to let them have her back as their situation had changed for the better and she seemed to love them so much.

Some dogs punish their pack for leaving them by regressing on potty training or by peeing in their owners bed. Some pretend that they have forgotten the house rules. It all just depends on the dog I guess. It sounds to me as though yours is just happy to have you back. Be appreciative and let her know you missed her too.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Last year I went away for four days while Jesie was only 7 months old. We didn't have JoJo at this stage. Jesie was at home with my OH. He said she was fine when they went for a walk each night but at bedtime she would cry or sulk for about 5-10 minutes. Bedtime is special for us as we all pile on the bed, have a few treats, some loving and then a snuggle. I had instructed OH on this (he usually comes to bed later) and she wouldn't have it. She wanted mummy cuddles not stinky daddy cuddles!

When I got home she went bonkers! Cuddles and kisses galore! That night when we went to bed instead of the usual quick snuggle she stayed with me all night! It was bliss as she is a cocker spaniel and very fluffy to cuddle with.

By the time we had woken up the next day she was over it though and we went back to our normal routine

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
I haven't been away from Maggie very much. My cats will act happy to see me when I come home and then punish me for being gone by not speaking to me for the rest of the day.

·
Registered
32 Posts
separation issues... i keep on reading this and am starting to suspect it in my puppy abby... every time i come home whether i've just gone to the store or been at work all day she cries for like 5 to 10 minutes.

so back to what woogiebear asked, are separation issues normal?

come to think of it, it's probably been said already, I shall search :)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Oreo seems a little anxious when I retrieve him after a boarding kennel stay. He's a little whiny, which is unusual for him, but a short ehh! usually settles him down. I like to think of it as quickly establishing pack order and is about the only time I ever do it.

Going back to your normal routine as quickly as possible should help him most past separation issues from the kenneling.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts