Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that some of you said that you added green beans to your dog's food as filler, but how much? Do you cook them, or do they get them raw?

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I have used them in place of any other treats -- bought the canned green beans (with no salt added). Maggie liked them cold and would just take them from my hand, two or three at a time, maybe two-three times a day.

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, that was a no go. LOL! Daisy neatly picked them out of her bowl and spat them on the floor where they still lay.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
I buy frozen green beans and steam about half a cup in the microwave every morning as soon as I get up. By the time Maggie gets up, they are cool and I add them to her food. She will also eat them frozen if she does happen to be up and I drop one.

·
Registered
959 Posts
I use them as treats rather than store bought cookies. I've used left over canned ones, frozen and fresh. The boys prefer them cooked, but when they help me prepare the fresh ones, they will at times get a raw one....(go figure)

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Originally Posted By: DaisysMomWell, that was a no go. LOL! Daisy neatly picked them out of her bowl and spat them on the floor where they still lay.
LOL! I can just see it. Jersey loves green beans in her food. I heat them up and steam them in the microwave for her. When I give them to her I usually do about 1/4 cup of frozen ones and then reduce her food by 1/4 cup. So far, no weight loss. At least not that I've noticed.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I did this consistently for a few months and Toby did lose a pound or two. I was complaining about that being all to my local, natural dog store owner. She informed me that was great!! She said it can take months for a beagle or other small-ish dog to lose just a pound or two. I guess she had a point - I wanted Toby to lose 4-5 lbs., that's quite a bit when he is 30lbs. to begin with! I have kinda gotten lazy about it, though, so he hasn't lost anymore and has probably put back on what he did lose!

I have heard just to keep the full amount of food the same. For instance if you normally feed 1 cup of food, you could do 1/2 cup kibble and 1/2 cup green beans.

·
Registered
890 Posts
We use frozen green beans right out of the bag. Being frozen is good for their teeth and I think the cold slows them down a bit. Tucker has never refused anything except lettuce. He loves watermellon. I even give him brussel sprouts.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts