Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you think dogs can have ADD like humans get?

My Jasmine will get on the couch and fall asleep, but Maggie is non-stop motion. I do call her my ADD doggie. While **** and jasmine are sleeping, she is seeing how much trouble she can get into...

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
How old is Maggie? I used to think that Caesar had ADD but as he's getting older (Year and half old now) it seems to be going away.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maggie and Jasmine are littermates and they are 1 year 8mnths olds... I think it could just be her personality and she's just nosey or doesn't want to miss anything?

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Maybe she's just a high-energy dog. I know people like that..so why not dogs?

·
Registered
193 Posts
I wonder the same about Rupert the Basset,he is nearly 3 and still very active. :bounce: :bounce2:
I have recently stopped giving him any treats with colourings or additives and this has helped calm him down abit.He already has an additive free kibble.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I've actually been studying this at the moment.

True hyperactivity as in ADD or ADHD as we call it here can occur in dogs but is not very common. A dog with ADD doesn't appear normal and shows very frenetic behaviour that's very different from that of a dog with just bags of energy. Children with ADD are very different to children that are just unruly, excited or full of normal exuberance and the same can be said for dogs. A dog with ADD will largely remain that way throughout its life unless it's given medication, just the same as children.

For the most part a hyperactive dog is just that and nothing more...although hard work for us at times :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
Call me "old-fashioned", but "add" is just a "Yuppie term" for a kid or a pet that is "highly energetic"! And they,(the parents) are too lazy to deal with them!!! :rolleyes: ANY human kid "will find themself with plenty to do if placed in a military school" as a "last resort"! A puppy "of any breed" is easier to train than a human, (we have much lower expectations of them)! Don't poop or pee in my house! Love me & act happy when I come home...! Our beags & hounds have been trained to hunt...but they have served us better as guard dogs when we are in the field! (Keep our loved ones company when we are gone...& you will be rewarded with fresh meat trimmings & bones)! Speakng of "bones"...Goober is due for a teeth cleaning next week thanks to a post card from my vet, but his teeth are very cleen thanks to the "T/D" kibble & the deer bones from the buck I harvested recently! Goobs is VERY active despite being nearly 16...but I doubt he would survive being "put-under" for a teeth-cleaning!!!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Gage was like that, but he calmed down as he aged. He really made a change by the time he turned two. He'll still go nuts when he goes outside though.

As far as the side topic on whether ADD is real, I don't think such inflammatory comments should be made unless a person has done some real research on the subject.

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
Completely off-topic, but Jennifer, I love your avatar of Rosa and Sherry. It is so sweet! How are they doing?

G

·
I think Dogs can have add.

I thought this of Charlie, however now that it's been a touch over a month since we adopted him, I've come to relise, that it's not ADD, it's that he acts and is still mentally a young puppy, even though he's 15 months old now, I'm assuming because he was not trained proper or never experienced much in his 14months of life, everything is so new to him, so he acts add alot of the time, ok most of the time, but we are looking at him as a new puppy not 15 months old. Hmmm who knows maybe he'll outgrow it, maybe not all I know is he keeps me on My toes and I hope for the best, I don't want a nervouse brake down.

·
Registered
983 Posts
We call Casey our add dog as well. I think she is just a different energy as Hunter. She seems to constantly need to be doing something, and her focus changes rather quickly. Taking her to agility class helped her focus her energy. She really liked it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts