Well, this product was very hard to find during
the holiday season as it must have been a very
popular item! I struggled to find one for Goober
so he can avoid overexerting himself when he jumps
up on my bed. Today I found one @ linens & things
in the Spokane valley mall. But, Ol Goob,s was
not the least bit cooperative...I led him by the
collar up & down the thing...but he "growled @ me
under his breath", as if to say, (Im not an invalid or crippled...so why are you subjecting me to this?!) It is clear that Goober is not ready to "admit" his age as he still can "give
Homer a run for the money"! :thumbup:

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
We bought one for Murphy as well so he can get up and down from his chair without my assistance. Wouldn't you know, he would ignore the steps and climb up with is front paws and stand there, waiting for me to lift him up. My wife has nicknamed this move the Daddy-vator.

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
I bought some of those steps at Pet Smart about 6 months ago. They were nice and carpeted. The doggies sniffed it in distaste. Something about the smell of the steps they did not approve of. They would not go near them and would not use them even once. I took them back to PetSmart for a refund.

Sounds like Goober and Murphy did not approve of the steps either. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Murphy's Dad. Did your vet show you how to pick up Murphy so that you don't re-injure his back? We are picking Sadie up and putting her on the bed and helping her down also. Sometimes when I help her down she yips a bit. I don't want to hurt her.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Way back when... Yes. But Murphy's back was surgically repaired. Once it completely healed, there is very little chance it will happen again (knock-on-wood). Now he is as active as he wants to be.

Sadie is different in that she is still healing and has not had surgery to repair it. For her, be gentle for a while.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
We want to buy a ramp for our two to get up into and down from the camper-car. Snoopy jumps in and out like a mad thing , but Susi uses the step at least.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I've thought about getting those for Jersey at the bed. I'm always so afraid that she's going to hurt herself jumping down one of these days. She'll use the ottoman to get down off the sofa, so she may use the stairs at the bed.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I bought a couple of these for Maggie to use -- the faux-shearling covered 3-step ones at Bed, Bath & Beyond that have the beagle on the box(inexpensive, especially with coupons ...). They are semi-successful. Have one in front of her living room chair and there is no way for her to avoid using them to go up and down. In the bedroom I put it in front of the ottoman so she goes up steps and then ottoman to bed. Main problem is that she will not go back down the steps to get off the bed unless I am around and say "steps". When I do, she goes right down the steps. Otherwise, she jumps off the bed which really scares me, especially if she has a bone in her mouth. Because of the arrangement in my bedroom, there is no way I can put steps at the side she jumps off. I did discover (I think after a BW suggestion) that the steps fit right up to the edge of the door frame on my car and she will climb up the steps to get on the seat --easier for her and me!

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info! I'm sure that when summer arrives & "my boy's" get to run & play with the neighbors hounds...Goober will be worn out enough
to use the doggie steps! I thought that as he is nearly 15 yrs old, "he'd apppreciate" a little help getting to bed...but as it turns out, he is as stubborn as his "old man"! :biglaugh: :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Lucky has some because my parents got some for their dog and she wouldn't use them. Lucky uses them but I keep tripping over them and plus we are moving so they are packed away.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts