Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have all of the sudden had a huge insurge of doggie classes in town. Casie is a very immature, timid pup of 15 months. He needs to be around people and dogs, other than just Cobi, and frankly, Cobi needs a break. The kindergarten class is for dogs, 6 - 18 months. But the time they offer it again, Casie will be over the 18 months chronologically, but not maturity. Would you try to get him into kindergarten or the next class up which is manners? Anyone have experience with these classes and how did they turn out for you?

Thanks,
Cathy j
Cobi and Casie's mom

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
Well, the classes that we did were named different but the lowest level focused on the basics like sit, stay, etc but it also had a heavy focus on potty training. The next level had everything that the first had but no potty training. They added more commands to fill that void.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Bodie just graduated from a puppy class at Petsmart. He started at 8 weeks old and was the youngest dog in the class. He was also probably the best trained dog when we were done.

But a lot of that was due to our commitment to his training. Holly and I would work with him 2-3 times a day. So I think that has a lot to do with it.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I would lean towards the kindergarten class. You said that Casie is very immature. Does he already know basic commands? If not, or if you're just getting started, the beginner class is probably best. I would contact the instructor for whichever class you're interested in and see what they think. They are going to know best what the classes entail and how Casie fits into them. We did two sets of classes with Jersey at PetSmart and loved it. It was fun and really helped us all.

·
Premium Member
3,458 Posts
I would also lean towards the kindergarten class. Maggie (10 months old) just finished her first kindergarten class last Wednesday, and didn't pass. She is also immature, and was not able to stay focused.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well that is pretty much it, he's so immature, the only thing he stays focused on is food. We're still working on housebreaking....and if he's not anymore focused than he is now, it's not going to be much better in January. This program is sponsored by the Rec Department in town, so don't know for sure how much these people know. As a matter of fact, I think this is the gal that told me years ago that beagles couldn't be trained...hmmm, maybe have to think this one over again. After all, mostly she's training us, not Casie.

Cathy

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Duke is a proud Petsmart graduate! He loved going to class and strutted into the store every week. It taught us all a lot and he has become so well behaved. When we do commands, he is the best of all 3 dogs and that is saying something with Cassie around, because she has always been great at her commands and tricks. But Duke is more focused now and I attribute a lot of that to puppy school. We'd actually like to take him and Violet back to intermediate classes and Duke's instructor was really wanting us to put him in trick classes where they learn all the cute, fancy tricks. I think that would be fun, too. Though maybe more frustrating. LOL

1 - 8 of 8 Posts