Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

So Monty has joined a play group! It's a group of medium sized dogs that meet up at one of the dog parks every wednesday for a walk and play time. Tonight is our first play date, and we're both excited. He doesn't know why he's excited...but he's excited

Question though. I see in pictures on their website that everyone lets there dog off-leash, which is allowed of course, but i never let Monty off his leash. we've had one too many scares! Do you think that he will feel left out because everyone else is off leash and he's not?

·
Registered
223 Posts
how come you wont let him off leash?

Arty is usually the most mild mannered dog but if there are a bunch of dogs around and he's on a leash he'll tend to pull more and whine more to try to get closer to the other dogs. His whine is usually so sad sounding that my heart breaks and we end up going to meet the dogs after all.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
If the place is enclosed, there is no reason for you not to let him off the leash. Take treats with you, the kind he would do anything for. When you call him and he comes, give him lots of praises and treat him. He will get the point after 3-4 times.

Enjoy the date

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the park is not fenced in. It's a section of a large park that is designated as the dog off-leash area. Monty is great, but i don't trust him off his leash! if he catches scent of something, he's gone! no amount of calling brings him back until he finds what he's looking for, or looses the trail completly. I think, if there's other dogs around he'll probably stay with them and forget about following a trail, but i don't know for sure. The parks on the out-skirts of the city, so there will be lots of animal trails.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
No, if the place is not fenced in - I wouldn't let Chloe off either.
Maybe they should consider to change the place and have the playdate somewhere else....

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There are no fenced in Dog Parks here
they just recently started have Fields for Fido but none of them are fenced in. All of the designated areas are part of a larger park. Apperantly, this Group we joined rents out a place in the winter for them to play indoors. Tonight though, Monty will be attached to his leash. I just may feel like a mean-mommy

·
Registered
223 Posts
aww not fenced it would be definitely scary. maybe try an extra long leash for him?

I will be trying that this summer too, because Im taking arty to the dog beach. however, my bf says that arty wont run too far bc he's too lazy (but i've seen him on a scent trail and man he can run FAST for a fatty dog) and plus he'll probably just stop at where there's food.

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
You could let him run around with his leash attached to his collar and see how he does. You know just let him drag the leash, that way if you feel like he isn't going to stay with the group, you could grab the leash handle end. Or try a long re-tractible leash?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm going to keep him in his harness attached to his leash, and if he gets playing i'll drop the leash. I can still grab it if he starts to run away. Thanks for the idea

I'll let you guys know how it goes tonight

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I hope you have a great time tonight. I would be hesitant to let Jersey lose without a leash if the area wasn't enclosed. However, she'd probably be so preoccupied with the other dogs that she wouldn't go anywhere. If you like the group and think you'll keep going, you can buy an extra long leash. I have a 30 ft. one that I use when we go to the dog beach. That way Jersey has some freedom but can't get away.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Monty did GREAT last night! At first, he was a bit shy and stayed close to me. He'd back away when other dogs came to him. There were about 12 dogs there, mostly pugs. So we stopped, had some cuddles and a treat, then walked behind everyone for a bit. Then he got more interested, and I even dropped his leash for awhile and he ran and chased a border collie, and tumbled in the grass, jumped in a puddle. He had so much fun. And a bath when he got home!! He was one tired puppy!
The park was great. They had a HUGE area that was off-leash. We walked for about 2 hours. The only downside to the park? No human bathrooms!! they had one building with washrooms, and it was locked. Very disipointed about that. Next wednesday is a different park though. Can't wait

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
That's great. You did good by letting Monty know he can come to you if in trouble, built his confidence and now he is a little less shy.

Sound like he had a super great time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts