Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone use a doggy door? How are they for weather especially in the winter? (I live in Canada, it can get mighty cold) Would you even let your dog use it in the winter?
Are there different kinds and if so what would you recommend?

·
Registered
889 Posts
We have a doggie door from the porch to the yard, but not from the house. I've been thinking about possibly getting a doggie door, but I like to wipe their feet when they come in if it's wet outside. Plus, I don't trust them not to howl all day long while I'm at work (although I think they'd just sleep in the sun).
So we'll probably just stick with the doggie door in the porch, but I look forward to hearing what you decide and how it works out!

·
Registered
650 Posts
I have a doggie door on my laundry room door that leads to a 14x20 courtyard outside. The dogs love it, and I'm happy that they are able to go outside while I'm not home. Erin, I had the same fear, so I asked my neighbors to let me know if the dogs make too much noise when I'm not home. No complaints yet!

·
Registered
890 Posts
I love our doggie door. In our current house it is the kind that fits in a sliding glass door. It does let some cold air when it doesn't seat right or when Tucker sticks his head out to check out the backyard. In our new house it will be in the back door. I plan on getting one that has double flaps and is made for cold weather. I wouldn't live without one. The one problem is we still haven't taught Tucker to wipe his feet before coming in. We do place a rug in front of the door to catch the worst of it. Just don't put the door in a room with carpeting so it will be easier to clean up the stuff that gets tracked inside. We are just used to the paw prints in the house.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I am considering one in our next home, too, so I'm glad you ask this question!!

They have ones that you can lock when you don't want them to be able to go out, right? Anyone have one? Opinions?

·
Super Moderator
5,249 Posts
I would love to have one but Molly is so tiny and would get herself into some kind of trouble out there or squish under the fence. Plus, we have skunks and other critters out there that I wouldn't want visiting!

·
Registered
271 Posts
I have a doggie door that fits into the slider. Then we have one built into the lanai. We can put a sliding panel into either one so the dogs cannot go in or out.

I think it is one of the best inventions in the world. We have 4 dogs that are not all in sync for bathroom times.

I leave it open when I'm gone during the day. My neighbors come and go, so someone is usually home and if one of the dogs barks too much, they know all by name, they tell them to go into the house and they do.

It's nice to know that they don't have to hold it if they need to go out, so if I'm running a bit behind, no one is home with thier legs crossed.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Originally Posted By: Toby & LuckyI am considering one in our next home, too, so I'm glad you ask this question!!

They have ones that you can lock when you don't want them to be able to go out, right? Anyone have one? Opinions?
Most doggie doors have covers that go over the slot. We put it on whenever we don't want Tucker to go outside or when it is real cold. They have some that have an electronic lock and a special fob thing that goes on your dogs collar. It unlocks the door when your dog approaches and is locked if any other beast tries to enter.

We have some friends with a cat door that they have to close everynight because a family of racoons discovered it and started going into their pantry at night.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I put one in the pedestrian door of our attached garage a few years ago. I like it, but in our climate I'd be hesitant to put it directly into the heated/cooled house because of the air infiltration. In a more temperate climate that may not be a concern.

The pet door faces north, and during snow/wind there is a lot of snow that gets through. We could stop a lot of it by keeping the cover on it, but then the dogs couldn't get through. It also allows some rain in when we get wind/rain.

The plastic flap has a magnet in the bottom edge that keeps it somewhat closed, but a good wind gust will blow it open. It's about the strength of the magnetic seal on your fridge door.

As it is the dogs can go into the garage for shelter if they are outside when the weather turns bad or they want to get out of the sun. Since it's in the garage a little snow/rain won't hurt anything.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all your replies! I am curious about the one that goes in the sliding glass door as that is the door he always wants to go through!
I still plan to crate him, at least for a while yet, while we are not at home.
How are they for bing installed? Did you do it yourself or have to hire it out? Is there any kind of door that you couldn't put one on?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts