Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
My 11 month beagle has never had this problem before. She has been completely potty trained and has not had an accident in the house for almost 7 months. However, I just moved in to a new house recently, and at first there were no problems. But lately, she will ask to go outside to go to the bathroom. I can tell that she needs to go really bad by the way she acts. But when we get outside, she won't go! I tell her to "go potty" and she knows what it means, but she absolutely will not go. She gets so distracted easily, sniffs around forever, tries to wander into other people's yards, watches the cars that drive by, and tries to catch bugs, but won't go potty. I even try walking her around the neighborhood so that she'll realize she needs to go, but she never will. I can't leave her outside alone because the yard is not fully fenced yet, so eventually I just have to bring her back inside.

Well tonight she did the same thing before bed, so I figured she would just wait until morning to go. But when we got back inside, she pooped on the floor! :angryfire: And we had just spent about 15 minutes outside! This is so unlike her, I don't know what to do. I am getting very frustrated, but I don't know what the problem is! Please, any help you can give me would be great!

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
If it is not too late, take the feces from the accident in the house, out to the potty spot in the yard that you want the dog to use. Perhaps that will help.

I am quite certain it is the dog's way of adjusting to the new surroundings. I doubt it will last too long.

I have a similar story that is hilarious to look back on now. We purchased one of our puppies during January last year and it was a harsh winter for us in Utah. We had snow on the ground continuously for months. Well late February we decided to take a road trip and took the pup with us. We were traveling south to a warmer climate. No matter where we would stop the puppy just wouldn't urinate or defecate. We could tell she was really struggling because she needed to go, but she just wouldn't. We had another dog of ours with us, but that didn't seem to help matters. She still wouldn't go.

Maya showed tremendous ability to hold it though because she had no accidents in the vehicle either. Finally we made it to the Grand Canyon where we stopped for some recreation. The temperatures were still low enough that there were a few spots with snow still on the ground. As soon as she got onto the snow she was able to go potty and pooped. We laughed when we realized she just didn't know that it was okay to relieve herself anywhere but on snow since she hadn't done so in her short life thus far. Poor little thing. Thankfully when we arrived in Phoenix (where the temps are higher and no snow on the ground) she soon realized it was acceptable to pee and poop on dirt. lol

We've never had a problem since.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts