Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why is it that so many people that have dogs think that they are the Dog Whisperer???? One of my biggest pet peeves is unsolicited advice and that is exactly what I got from someone at PetSmart.
She was also a customer and nice enough but felt it was her duty to tell me how to raise my dogs, even though I didn't ask!! UGGH
Sorry just had to vent...live and let live!

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Most people mean well. Some new dog owners are only too glad to get advice. Experienced dog owners can seperate the good advice from the bad.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh I am sure people mean well but it just came out of nowhere. I just never feel it necessary to tell people what to do, unless they ask for my opinion.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Geez, how annoying for you to have someone say something to you. I mean, come on, it's not like you are telling them how to raise their pets or kids since most of us think of our furry ones as kids.

Kind on the same topic, I've also seen alot owners saying Shhhhh to their dogs alot more now after Dog Whisperer has become more popular.

·
Registered
582 Posts
That's what I like about Beagle World...
Just nice people that love Beagles, and care about each other.
There have been so many clubs, organizations, (and forums) on different topics and interests that I have backed away from because they were full of people just trying to be more expert than the next guy.

There's nobody here saying... You're not a <span style="font-weight: bold">REAL</span> beagle owner, if your dog doesn't have a pedigree like mine, if you don't have a leash and collar like mine, or feed them what I feed mine!

None of those same people that, if you really pressed them would say... Well no... I don't actually <span style="font-weight: bold">HAVE</span> a beagle... but I read a lot.

Human nature... I guess.

·
Registered
837 Posts
With TV shows like Cesar's becoming more and more popular it's no surprise that people are becoming couch experts and like to spout off to others. Sadly (and scarily in some cases) I see and hear it quite a lot and it's very disconcerting to hear relatively inexperienced people just handing out advice when they don't really know what they are talking about, but saw it on a TV show once.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Someone in another group I belong to just had a film audition for Its Me or the Dog. They had to show the worst of their dog's behaviors (not beagles). If the family gets accepted it will be interesting to see what happens behind the scenes and how much training goes on that we never even see on TV.

·
Registered
443 Posts
And then you get the people who try to tell you what breed of dog you have. I was in Petsmart one day with Shasta - probably a little over a year ago when this lady looks at her and tries to convince me that I have a Bassett. To this day I can't let go of this - no, this is not well meaning - this is downrite stupidity. I was nice the whole time even when she stood by her opinion. I wish I had thought at that time to ask her -Would you like to see her registration papers and pedigree - would you like to see her AKC show record in BEAGLE classes? No, she isn't shown now - she had a very brief (2 local shows in 2007) show career and then she was spayed. The ONLY similarity I see is her color.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Originally Posted By: Kim'n the Beaglebratz
And then you get the people who try to tell you what breed of dog you have.
Oh my gosh! I can totally relate to this one! So many people ask about Roscoe and think he is all or part Jack Russell. That is fine but then I've actually had people flat out tell me No he's not a beagle or Not with that tail! or Can't be!. My thing is, Why do you even care so much to go out of your way to try to prove me wrong????
I was so releived to find this forum b/c the people are great and I saw beagles that looked just like Roscoe!

·
Registered
326 Posts
Yeh makes me think about all the times ppl say things to me about Charlie.

And they know nothing about beagles, but choose to place beagles in all dog catagories arggggg,
I much rather come here,(EXPERIENCED BEAGLE OWNERS AND LOVERS):) or stop ppl I see in real life with beagles.

Hey did you see that eps, dog whisperer where he took the beagle roller blading?lol

I prefer the show end of my leash? he's more real I think

·
Registered
223 Posts
omg, I havent been posting but I've been keeping up with daily readings but this topic made me TOTALLY need to sign in and vent ...

I seriously am sick of taking my sweet little arty anywhere because of idiots who think they know everything. Some examples:

1. When I first got Arty, I knew he was most likely a beagle mix because of his short ears and puffy chest. My bf and I determined that he is probably part jrt. Well, we go to petsmart and of course another customer there is like oh he's TOTALLY part bassett, you can tell and i was thinking really? even tho his ears are short, he doesnt have the turned out paws? but I politely said no, probably not and she goes on for like ten mins trying to convince me that he was.

2. This is another story, this time at Petco. The bf and I had walked Arty to the park and were on our way back and stopped in at Petco. Arty got really excited by the dogs and smells that he started tugging on his leash and of course started reverse sneezing really loudly. One of the more knowledgeable salesclerks was like oh thats normal for a beagle which was cool but then another one (who was trying to sell us food we didnt want) came up to us and kept trying to convince us that Arty was too fat and thats why he was having breathing problems. Even though he has lost 10 lbs since I've had him and the weight loss has made no change. Meanwhile my poor dog is snorting away and I'm trying to comfort him and help him stop and my bf is trying to tell her that no, this is just something arty does.

okay, lastly, I really hate when people come up to me and tell me my dog is fat. First of all, he WAS fat but he has lost a lot of weight and now he's not fat, just chunky and muscular. He may look like a beagle but he has the chest of the JRT so it makes him look heftier, like a football player or something. Still I have neighbors who know nothing about dogs tell me he needs to lose weight. AAAARRGGGHHH. It's so rude!

·
Registered
133 Posts
I've been in Petsmart and had people say, Oh, what a cute little Beagle mix. He's not a mix, he's AKC. Not that - that makes a difference, but some people are so rude.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I know that I should not let it bother me, and that sometimes people mean well but UUUGGHH. My bf must be a better person than I because he lets it slide right off his back but boy do I get my feelings hurt when people criticize my dog

1 - 15 of 15 Posts