Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When out walking Timber she loves to got up to every person she see's and every dog. Should i let this happen or snap her back on the leash?

The people dont seem to mind because she is cute, but is it not the proper thing to do?

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
No, she should NOT be jumping up on people - it'll be harder to correct when she's older and not so cute anymore (tho beagles are ALWAYS cute). Believe me I know this from experience!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Beagles are very very loving and adore affection. It is up to you. Had I known from the get go just HOW affectionate beagles are, I would probably have worked with Chloe on asking me before going to each and every person and dog.
Luckily for me, it's something that is now we almost mastered in our therapy assistance training. It's easier to handle them I think, when the first stop, look at us, and when we let them, they go and sniff and greet.

Basically, there is no harm of fowl in you letting her sniff and greet whomever she sees (if they don't mind of course).

·
Registered
889 Posts
Now there are two ways of looking at this firstly pulling them back as a command. This is fine but needs to be at the same time every time for the dog to realise bad behaviour means pull on the lead.
Secondly over protection by pulling away. This can instill fear into a dog as the owners actions tell the dog that this is bad keep away. A lot of dogs show fear aggression when on a lead because of this over protection.
Correct methods should be to make the dog sit to get fuss off strangers. You could always give the stranger a treat to give to your dog but ask them to only give it when the dog is sitting. Soon the dog will see strangers as fun plus it will associate sitting with getting fuss and treats.
Also use the leave it command get your dog to do this command then when a dog comes near and you are not sure about it then you can use the leave it command and call your dog away without instilling fear of bad habits into your dog.

·
Registered
837 Posts
There are two reasons why I don't let my beagle say hello to everyone we pass on our walk:

1) I don't like her pulling on the lead, and it is part of her training to learn 'leave it' or to ignore passers by and their dogs unless I say its ok.

2) Whilst beagles are generally friendly, happy dogs not everyone is a dog person. Hard to imagine, but its true, and whilst most people may not mind Daisy coming up to them to say hello, its not fair to let my dog get in everyone's way or bother them - they may not like dogs and they don't have to.

If Daisy shows interest in another dog or person when we are walking, I just cheerily say, come on Daisy, let's go to keep her focus on me and not on other people/animals.

If someone wants to have a pat or cuddle with her, that's great - I make her sit first and let her sniff their palm and then she can get a pat.

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
I do not let people pat Charlie unless they ask. And only when I put Charlie to sit first. I'll do the patting first then lead on to another person. Charlie does not like to be pat for some reason.
No, Charlie should not jump on any one, and he knows it. Only when invited. That goes to controlling dorminant behavior.
Charlie is not friendly to big dogs, he feels itimidated. It is ok to say he is not friendly when asked. I figured I do not have to make friends with everybody that passes by. As before I tried so hard, Charlie does not agree, he gets annoyed.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
You are right Peter it isn't the proper thing to do. If you let her do it all the time now as a cute lil puppy she will still do it when she is 2 years old and a lot stronger and bigger. Now is the time to train her that she can say hello only when you say it is OK.

Like Barking Mad said though you must be careful that you don't inadvertently make her fearfull of dogs or people by pulling her back on the lead. Teaching basic obediance so she understands the commands heel, leave and sit should overcome this.

I do let my dogs say hello to people and dogs but I am very selective about who I choose. Some people are clearly not that dog friendly, even if they say they are. Also not all dogs are dog friendly and a bad meeting could be disasterous for a young puppy.

Rosa had a bad meeting with two German Shepherd Guard dogs when she was about 6 months old and she has been a bit fearful of large dogs ever since.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
I am a dog lover but dont like it when strange dogs run and jump up.Some folks are scared of dogs, even sweet little beagles, and one has to respect this.If someone stops for a chat because they find your dog cute, then thats fine.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Yeah the worse thing I can run into on walks are stray dogs (mostly dogs that owners let out without being tied or without a leash). It totally takes Scout's focus away from walking. I feel that I have the right to walk my dog on a leash and not be bothered by dogs that someone just lets out of their house. Its dangerous because if Scout gets scared she is on a leash and can't get away. also annoying are kids riding their bikes right beside me, Scout always lunges at them. And then of course the people that are casually walking 50 feet in front of me that Scout just has to get to, but thats no one's fault.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts